Mac Mini - Buy now or October? - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit
Expired

Mac Mini - Buy now or October?

Money Spinning Avatar
9y, 3m agoPosted 9 years, 3 months ago
I was planning on waiting till October to upgrade my old iMac to a Mac Mini so I can get the latest Leopard OS bundled with it but Apple have now increased the specs on the £399 model...

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=9A42D2A0&node=home/desktop/mac_mini

If I knew the same model would be £399 in October with Leopard then I would wait but what's the likelihood that they will increase the price when Leopard comes out?

Anyone in the know on how they usually do it?
Tags:
Other Links From MINI:
Money Spinning Avatar
9y, 3m agoPosted 9 years, 3 months ago
Options

All Responses

(14) Jump to unreadPost an answer
Responses/page:
#1
* Bump *
banned#2
wait for the new mac os

Why not buy pc with Windows Vista?
#3
I've been using Mac's for 13 years, there's no way I would move to PC's now.

That's like asking a Millwall fan to start supporting West Ham instead :giggle:
#4
Money Spinning
I was planning on waiting till October to upgrade my old iMac to a Mac Mini so I can get the latest Leopard OS bundled with it but Apple have now increased the specs on the £399 model...

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=9A42D2A0&node=home/desktop/mac_mini

If I knew the same model would be £399 in October with Leopard then I would wait but what's the likelihood that they will increase the price when Leopard comes out?

Anyone in the know on how they usually do it?


i would wait till the new OS is released in October. The new model was released with iLife 08 yesterday. If you have anyone in your household doing any form of education you can get your mac mini even cheaper from the Apple online education store @ £374.83 but if you wait till october you could buy the top spec mac mini for £468.83.
There will not b e a price rise in october because of the OS upgrade!

Simon
#5
go for it now...tiger is miles ahead of any other os anyway and you will get i'life 08 as a bonus anyway....the leopard upgrade will be no more than 50/60 quid in october
#6
There will not b e a price rise in october because of the OS upgrade!


You sound sure, is that just a hunch or based on anything?

Unfortunately we don't qualify for the education discount.
#7
Money Spinning
You sound sure, is that just a hunch or based on anything?

Unfortunately we don't qualify for the education discount.


I can't remember them doing a price bump for Tiger and it wouldn't make sense for them to do it with Leopard either.
#8
Well if you want the latest OS, then it will not hurt to wait.

If you buy it now, you'd have to purchase the OS separately in October.

If you wait and they rise the price, it will still probably be cheaper than it'd cost you to get them both individually.

But I don't think there will be a price rise. I'm waiting for October so I can purchase my Macbook Pro : ]
#9
What new features will the OS upgrade bring (not a mac user myself but many uni colleagues are, just out of general interest...)? Its still a sub-version upgrade isnt it (ie 10.x)?

Also I thought it was a bit more than £60 for the annual upgrade, but I wait to be corrected :)
#10
I have asked on the Apple forums too and the advice seems similar and that it's unlikely that their will be a price rise so I have decided to wait.

What new features will the OS upgrade bring (not a mac user myself but many uni colleagues are, just out of general interest...)? Its still a sub-version upgrade isnt it (ie 10.x)?


Take a look here - it will have been 2 years since Tiger the current OS by the time it comes out.

Also I thought it was a bit more than £60 for the annual upgrade, but I wait to be corrected


Indeed, it's usually £100, it makes no difference to price if you have the previous OSX or not the price remains the same.
#11
I've been told that the price for leopard will be around the same as the current price for tiger. So it wont break the bank for early adopters unlike some other OS upgrades I could mention.

If you need the machine any time soon I wouldn't wait! Apple are currently experiencing record Mac sales (up 33% since the release of Windows Vista, coincidence? I think not :giggle:) so there's a bit of a backlog of orders and that's only going to get worse when the new OS comes out.
#12
megalomaniac
I've been told that the price for leopard will be around the same as the current price for tiger. So it wont break the bank unlike some other OS upgrades I could mention.

If you need the machine any time soon I wouldn't wait! Apple are currently experiencing record Mac sales (up 33% since the release of Windows Vista, coincidence? I think not :giggle:) so there's a bit of a backlog of orders and that's only going to get worse when the new OS comes out.



I totally agree :thumbsup:
#13
I have decided to wait till October, Leopard will probably be £99.99 so if I can get that bundled instead of Tiger then it will be worth the wait.

My trusty old 600Mhz Snow iMac will see me through till then!

My daughter still has a 400Mhz 1998 iMac going strong!

That's what I love about Macs, they go on forever.
#14
Money Spinning
I have decided to wait till October, Leopard will probably be £99.99 so if I can get that bundled instead of Tiger then it will be worth the wait.

My trusty old 600Mhz Snow iMac will see me through till then!

My daughter still has a 400Mhz 1998 iMac going strong!

That's what I love about Macs, they go on forever.


Wasn't it quoted as being £129.99 or was that $$$?

I would wait 6-7 weeks and then look on the 'refurbished' part of the apple store, as the mac mini would come with 12 month warranty and have all the new software with it - even though Apple sell it as refurb.

Then ring them up and order over the phone and if you are a student they might knock some more off the discount price, it is unlikely but worth a shot.

Post an Answer

You don't need an account to leave a response. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!