Metabisulphate allergic reaction? (Tesco double concentrate apple squash) - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HotUKDeals, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HotUKDeals app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit
Expired

Metabisulphate allergic reaction? (Tesco double concentrate apple squash)

£0.00 @ Tesco
My lad was hospitalised and nearly kept in overnight (let out at midnight in the end) due to a severe allergic reaction. We were completely baffled at first as to what caused it, but we started using … Read More
Johnboy_1975 Avatar
3y, 4m agoPosted 3 years, 4 months ago
My lad was hospitalised and nearly kept in overnight (let out at midnight in the end) due to a severe allergic reaction. We were completely baffled at first as to what caused it, but we started using a different brand of cordial Friday, so we think that is the problem (probably should have twigged sooner)

Its Tesco double concentrate apple squash, and it contains metabisulphate, which is listed in bold as a possible allergen.

We've used other Tesco squash varieties before and never had this problem.

Firstly, is it a common additive (will it be easy to avoid? Had no issues avoiding it for the past 7+ years)

Secondly, anyone else suffered this type of reaction from this juice?
Tags:
Other Links From Tesco:
Johnboy_1975 Avatar
3y, 4m agoPosted 3 years, 4 months ago
Options
Best Answer
Not necessarily, you can develop an allergy at any age. Subsequent reactions can often be worse than the initial one, so please make sure that you don't give your son the juice again until you can rule it out as a trigger. I hope that the hospital have offered you a follow-up plan for referral to see an allergist etc, if not pls go and see your GP and insist on a referral to a Paediatric Allergist.

Johnboy_1975
753_Abi
Is your son allergic to sulphites?

Sulphites are among the most important of the authorised preservatives that can be added to food to improve shelf life. The term “sulphites” is a general term for a group of chemicals including sulphur dioxide and sodium metabisulphite.

More info at Anaphylaxis.org and AllergyUK on this

As far as we are aware, no. Surely we would have come across this before if he was (he's 8 in September)

All Responses

(6) Jump to unreadPost an answer
Responses/page:
#1
Is your son allergic to sulphites?

Sulphites are among the most important of the authorised preservatives that can be added to food to improve shelf life. The term “sulphites” is a general term for a group of chemicals including sulphur dioxide and sodium metabisulphite.

More info at Anaphylaxis.org and AllergyUK on this
#2
Terrabytes
It's just one of a number of sulphites that are commonly used as preservatives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_metabisulfite

This is what I don't understand. If it's common, he would surely have had it before?

If it isn't this juice, what the hell caused it?
#3
753_Abi
Is your son allergic to sulphites?

Sulphites are among the most important of the authorised preservatives that can be added to food to improve shelf life. The term “sulphites” is a general term for a group of chemicals including sulphur dioxide and sodium metabisulphite.

More info at Anaphylaxis.org and AllergyUK on this

As far as we are aware, no. Surely we would have come across this before if he was (he's 8 in September)
#4
Not necessarily, you can develop an allergy at any age. Subsequent reactions can often be worse than the initial one, so please make sure that you don't give your son the juice again until you can rule it out as a trigger. I hope that the hospital have offered you a follow-up plan for referral to see an allergist etc, if not pls go and see your GP and insist on a referral to a Paediatric Allergist.

Johnboy_1975
753_Abi
Is your son allergic to sulphites?

Sulphites are among the most important of the authorised preservatives that can be added to food to improve shelf life. The term “sulphites” is a general term for a group of chemicals including sulphur dioxide and sodium metabisulphite.

More info at Anaphylaxis.org and AllergyUK on this

As far as we are aware, no. Surely we would have come across this before if he was (he's 8 in September)
#5
Poor lad was drinking it up until Saturday until I twigged at 7pm. Wondered why he wasn't getting any better!!

Rash has now disappeared :)

So, are we safe to carry on with food and drink he's had before with no reaction? He's currently on water, but eating normally and fine in himself. I suppose the answer to that depends on whether he's developed the reaction, or whether he's always had it but not had any metabisulphates in any quantity before
#6
I wouldn't like to offer any advice regarding eating or drinking but I would recommend that you get in touch with Allergy UK's helpline when it opens 01322 619898 (The Helpline operates from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday). I would suggest that you think about keeping a food diary so that when you do see your GP or Allergist that you have something to take with you, it doesn't need to be anything fancy - just something like the one shown here

Johnboy_1975
Poor lad was drinking it up until Saturday until I twigged at 7pm. Wondered why he wasn't getting any better!!

Rash has now disappeared :)

So, are we safe to carry on with food and drink he's had before with no reaction? He's currently on water, but eating normally and fine in himself. I suppose the answer to that depends on whether he's developed the reaction, or whether he's always had it but not had any metabisulphates in any quantity before


Edited By: 753_Abi on Mar 02, 2014 15:45

Post an Answer

You don't need an account to leave a response. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!