window? - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit


colvin0405 Avatar
2y, 4m agoPosted 2 years, 4 months ago
Hi guys, looking for a wee bit of advice, we're looking to convert our 2 bedroom house into a 3 by putting up a partition wall, obviously there would need to be a window put in to this extra room, does anyone know ....

1. Do you need planning permission for putting a window in?

2. Roughly how much it would cost to put the window in?
Thanks in advance x
colvin0405 Avatar
2y, 4m agoPosted 2 years, 4 months ago

All Responses

(9) Jump to unreadPost an answer
if your opening up an outside wall and putting lintels in then yes defo need at least a small buildings notice off your local authority. Give them a ring to make sure your doing things right (less hassle than finding out something's not right and having to spend more to put it right)
Just avoid Anglian Windows for any work, good luck.
You might have to have obscure glass if it overlooks your neighbours windows
Thanks for the info guys :) yeah opening up an outside wall, so will def give them a wee ring x
Yes, you require planning permission. Don''t know where you are but, should you be in Scotland, there's a company called SRJ Windows who are based near Dunfermline. They are fantastic and, over the past few years, have installed windows, doors and a conservatory for us. We are going back to them soon for an extra window in our lounge. Great after-sales, lovely people and they will take care of planning permission for you.

Edited By: Lou Scotland on Jul 25, 2014 10:46
If you want to do the work under 'permitted development rights' you will need to put class 3 or greater obscure glass in. If you want to put in an ordinary window then you may require planning consent.

I would recommend you get the services of an architect as they will be aware of current regulations. You will, in any case, need a set of drawings and a calculations into the load bearing lintel of your proposal to comply with building regulations. The architect should also be able to design cost out, by specifying 'standard' materials' and will also be able to recommend a 'trustworthy' tradesman to do the work.

As to cost, £400 for architect, allow £100 for planning application, £800 for builder to 'knock hole in wall' fit lintel, double glazed unit and sill, make good and remove builders waste. Allow £400 for double glazed unit, trim and sill, sealant and sundries. Expect to pay £100+ for the lintel, depending on specification. So with VAT circa £2.1k, on top of that you will have the cost of the partition wall and redecoration to factor in, which could well double the cost, depending on scope and specification.
Yeah i am in Scotland so will definitely keep them in mind :) thank you so much x
I have all the materials to do the wall as my father in law will be doing this. Just really the costs of the window to cover! :) thank you all x
Yeah i am in Scotland so will definitely keep them in mind :) thank you so much x

Post an Answer

You don't need an account to leave a response. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!