Win a £150 voucher from Hotels.com
Viewfinder competition: win a £150 hotel voucher
Name the place and win a £150 voucher from Hotels.com letting you stay at thousands of hotels worldwide
1. Few places in the world can match the extraordinary history of this ancient city – it was once a wonder to behold.
2. Colourful characters have played out their global ambitions here – empires have been built, fought over, and lost
3. It had a key role in the dramatic removal of its country’s most recent leader. Read all about it! Name the city.
4. picture only
My Answer: Alexandria, Egypt
1. Alexandria Lighthousehttp://www.abc.se/~pa/publ/alexandr.htm
3. Alexandria Libraryhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_library
Removal of most recent leader - Mubarak http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mubarak
4.PICTURED: Field Marshal Sir BERNARD LAW MONTGOMERY, Field Marshal HAROLD ALEXANDER and General EISENHOWER.http://www.alamy.com
Possibly a reference to the battle of El Alamein 1942 - a village to the west of Alexandria on the northern coast of Egypt.
Email your answer by Thursday 9 August to [email protected]
or send a postcard, with address and phone number, to Viewfinder, The Observer, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Good luck!