Unfortunately needed a UK passport photo. Popped down to the Photo-booth, £5 for 5 passport photos but the silly machine didn't accept cards and wanted exact change. Went to the cash-point but it wasn't dispensing anything less than £10. Long story short. Took a picture with my iPhone, edited it on epassportphoto.com and printed 4 photos for 20p - saved £4.80 !
Here’s what you have to do:
Taking the photo:
1. Find an area that has a white background colour and instruct the person you are photographing to stand about one foot in front of that background.
2. Instruct the person to have a neutral expression on his face and ask him to remove his glasses if he is wearing them.
3. Stand about 6 feet away from the person and take a picture that shows him from the shoulders up. Leave about 6 inches of spaces above his head.
4. Connect your camera/iPhone to your computer and upload the picture to a location of your choice.
Creating the Photo
1. Navigate to epassportphoto.com, choose "United Kingdom" and "Passport 4.5 x 3.5 " from the drop-down menus on the home page and click "Get My Passport Photos."
2. Click on the "Choose File" icon and upload the photo you created in Section 1 from the location you saved it in Step 4 of Section 1. Click "Next" and wait for the photo to upload and be displayed on the screen.
3. Hover your mouse icon over the photo. You will see a small cross icon. Click and hold down your left mouse button and drag the selection so that it covers the desired area of the image. Two green rectangles will appear as you drag. Ensure the top of the head and the edge of the chin are inside these rectangles. Let go of the mouse and click "Next."
4. Click on "No thanks," which is highlighted in blue on the web page. Click on "Download the passport photo sheet image" icon on the following page. A JPEG file with four passport photos will be downloaded to your computer.
1. Go to Boots
2. Insert your iPhone/USB in Photo machine and choose 6'x4' and pay 20p for 24hr service.
3. Pick up 4 perfect UK passport photos
4. Reward yourself with a well deserved pint!
HOW TO MAKE 8 PHOTOS FOR 20p INSTEAD OF 4
Once you have finished what the OP has described and downloaded the Passport photo sheet to your PC, do the following:
1.) Open Paint (or similar editing program).
2.) Open the passport photo sheet you've just downloaded.
3.) Using the select tool highlight the 4 photos (they will be printed as a square).
4.) Click on copy
5.) Paste the image and position it over the logo next to the photos already on the photo sheet so you'll now have 8 photos instead of 4.
6.) Save the file.
7.) Print and cut out at your convenience
Step by Step instructions at : http://www.diaryfolio.com/create-your-own-passport-photo-using-gimp/