I read about this in a copy of PC format. It did extremely well in tests and was given the gold award while being far from the most expensive psu in the tests.
Who would use it? Demanding users! You'd need to have a lot of drives (Both optical and Hard) a meaty graphics card or two to justify this but still, for those of us that demand quality without paying an arm and a leg, this little beauty is under £100 delivered (Super saver). This is the world's 1st 80 Plus Silver certified high wattage power supply; powering systems with enough juice at 88% efficiency.
More info can be found on the manufacturers website:http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=5197
More details from the ebuyer site:
The new Coolermaster 900W UCP PSU - Certified with 80% Silver Efficiency Rating
CoolerMaster UCP (Ultimate Circuit Protection) re-defines the standard for efficient and durable computer power supplies. The UCP 900W takes center-stage as the world's 1st 80 Plus Silver certified high wattage power supply; powering systems with enough juice at 88% efficiency.
Innovative circuitry layout has resulted in industry-leading efficiency levels, thanks to the high performance active clamp switch design, dual-VRM circuit boards for maximized 12V conversion to 5V and 3.3V and re-design of circuit board layout.
The UCP series is meant for powering the high-end system setups; with circuit protection in mind to prolong the life-time of the power supply. Features that enable this includes: soft-start circuitry to limit inrush currents (a Cooler Master unique feature) and the usage of quality components such as solid capacitors and intelligent fan control.
With ever increasing global demand on, it is becoming more important as a power supply provider to offer efficien energy. We are ecstatic to have accomplished this with the introduction of the UCP 900W.
1. VRM(Voltage Regulation Module) Circuit offers high efficiency and Power density.
2. Compliance with the newest Intel standard ATX 12V V2.3
3. Compliance with the newest SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92
4. Ultra-silent operation with intelligent 120mm fan speed control
5. Eco-design for energy and money saving by Active PFC.(>0.9) / high efficiency(>88%)
6. Power Failure Detector will light up when OVP /OCP / OPP / SCP / UVP /OTP occur
7. Soft-start circuit A protection mechanism that limits the input inrush current by delaying the actual power-on of the PSU to prevent damage to it.
8. Green mode PFC control circuit by intelligent PWM power conversion
9. By using a single 12V switching circuit design you get a more efficient AC to DC conversion which leads to an overall more efficient PSU
Type Intel ATX 12V V2.3 / SSI EPS 12V V2.92
Dimension (W / H / D) 150 x190 x 86 (mm)
Input Voltage 90~264V
Input Current [email protected]
/ [email protected]
Input Frequency Range 47~63Hz
Power Good Signal 100~500ms
Hold Up Time >17ms
Protection OVP / OCP / OPP / SCP / UVP / OTP
Output Capacity 900W
Max. Output Capacity 1080W
Regulatory NEMKO / TUV / CE / GOST / C-tick / UL / FCC
Fan 120mm Fan
Certification SLI / 80 Plus
M/B 24 Pin Connector x 1
CPU 4+4 Pin x 2
PCI-E 8 Pin x2
PCI-E 6 Pin x4
Peripheral x 5
SATA x 9
Floppy x 1
Cooler Master's excellence in design & engineering has resulted in this milestone achievement and has already gained worldwide acclaim, which includes: Tom's Hardware MOST Innovative product out of 1725 exhibitors at Computex 2008.http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Computex-Innovation-Awards,5620.html