This is the lowest price I have ever seen AncestryDNA in the UK.
Each kit is currently £49
Postage and packing £20 for the first kit you order
P+P is £10 for each subsequent kit
Plus the potential for 12% TCB if not a member (thanks to oB765o for this).
AncestryDNA is an 'autosomal test' and which will takes a small part of your DNA which you have inherited from both your paternal and maternal ancestors.
From spitting into a tube, it can:
- give you a model of your ethnicity
- give you who yo are matched to (list of other people, often by username who you can contact)
- the opportunity to download your results and upload this to other services (for detailed ethnicity or health indicators)
AncestryDNA currently has the biggest database, 2.5 million users and counting (numbers matter for matches).
Here are some examples of DNA use:
- I have successfully assisted a distant cousin (adopted, no records) who was a DNA match to me find their birth parents.
- I am currently using DNA research to identify who my maternal grandfather is where paper records go cold. People who research famiy history call this a 'brick wall'
- Some use DNA because they are interested in what their ethnicity is.
I appreciate this deal is not for everyone but some might be interested and it might make an interesting Christmas present for someone.