Archos 80 Cobalt 8" (1024x768 4:3) Dual Core 1.6GHz with Google Play £99.00 @ Tesco *Instore Boxing Day Deal £49
Thanks to rejector1, it is now online on the below link. (Can a Mod edit the post link?)
A New Release from Archos, the Archos 80 Cobalt. Never heard of it until last night when looking for a tablet for my Dad in my local Tesco Spytty Newport.
Spotted this in Tesco and after testing it out with browsing and watching videos I thought it was perfect for his needs of browsing Autotrader and eBay plus the 4:3 display is more user friendly for him.
Possibility of extra discounts are obviously available at Tesco, I used a £5 off £50 spend voucher so paid £94 plus Clubcard points.
HOT or COLD? You decide. Hope it helps someone.
Specs: (No GPS or HDMI Out)
• Flash memory: 8 GB*
• Expandable via micro SDHC Slot up to 64 GB
• ANDROID™ 4.0 “Ice Cream Sandwich
• Dual core @ 1.6 GHz with Quad core GPU
• 8” capacitive multitouch screen 16 million colors
• 1024 x 768 pixels
• H.264 up to 1080p resolution – 30 fps
• MPEG-42– 30 fps
• With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: .avi .mp4 ,mkv, .mov, and .flv
• MP3, WAV, APE, OGG, FLAC
• JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG
• Micro USB slave 2.0
• Audio Jack 3.5mm
• Micro SD slot (SDHC compatible) Up to 64 GB
• Built-in speaker
• Front camera 0.3 MP
• Back Camera 2MP
Dimensions & weight
• 153.5 x 203 x 11.5 mm – 470g
• Microsoft® Windows® 7, Vista, XP, or higher and Windows Media Player 11
• Mac OS. X with Transfer Files application (not included)
• Linux with android MTP tool (not included)
• USB 2.0 interface
• ARCHOS 80 cobalt, USB cable, Power adapter, Quick Start Guide (QSG)
Yes it has physical buttons for power, volume up\down.
I am new to Android so prob not the best to review the device but all I can say is I am not disappointed. It is very responsive, fast and there are no screen issues. Sound is tinny so best used with headphones. And it takes about 10 seconds to boot from fully shutdown but instant from standby. It utilises active wallpapers without any impact on web browsing, playing games or streaming movies etc The screen quality overall is faultless. Playing HD movie files look very good.
I have installed a few apps such as Netflix, Skygo, iPlayer, Skype, Evernote & Dead Trigger and all work perfectly. Web browsing is faultless and at times faster than my iPad. I have not noticed any apps that say they have problems.. anything in particular you want me to install?
I have installed a 64GB SD Class 10 card and it works without issue. Taken photo's which are not the best but I suppose for a 2mp camera they are as perfect as they can be and the camera seems to be very slightly off angle by say 2mm so you have to very slightly tilt the device to get a straight picture. Video is however very good quality when recorded from the same camera.
No updates are available as yet so for now it is ISC 4.0.4
All in all I have recommended my brother in law save himself some money and buy my niece one of these instead of the samsung.
Now available online here http://www.tesco.com/direct/archos-80-cobalt-tablet-8-8gb-wifi/247-0605.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=247-0605