To be entirely honest, I never saw anything like this before. Marketing aside, this is USB enclosure, which takes IDE Hard Drive (upto 500GB, according to SVP) and serves as PVR. The recording source seems to be analogue, and it got ain't no tuner. The spec says Record directly to the hard drive from ... DV but there is no firewire, so I think it means you need to connect analogue cables rather than digital.
In short, it seems that its function is pretty similar to Archos DVR players, but it uses XViD and got no screen. The recording is done in 640x480, which is slightly less than PAL (and NTSC for this matter) but should still be adequate for most people not obsessed with HD content.
I am not sure whether this device can be called 'bargain' as its price is a bit too high, but it is certainly not the ordinary HDD enclosure.
You can get this device cheaper if you use HUKD discount program or Google checkout. Not sure if you can use both.
Anyway, here is the spec:
- Record directly to the hard drive from TV, DVD or DV into XviD video format
- Self-timer recording
- Play video, audio and image files through your TV
- Supports DivX and Xvid video file formats
- Supports SD/MMC/CF memory cards
- High speed USB2.0 connection for use as storage device
- Remote control included
- In-built format function
- Folder browser menu system with copy, paste, delete, create folders, copy all and delete all functions.
- Progressive scan video output
- Supports external subtitles (.SRT)
- Supported hard drive format: Standard parallel-ATA 3.5" (FAT32 formatted)
- Supported hard drive capacity: Up to 500GB
- High speed USB2.0 connection
- Record resolution: 640 x 480 pixels
Supported media files:
- Video: *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.dat, *.avi, *.vob, *.asf
- Audio: MP3, AAC
- Image: JPEG
Supported memory cards:
- CF, SD, MMC
- AV In
- AV Out
Dimensions: 220 x 120 x 43mm
- Sumvision Zengo recording media player and drive enclosure
- Remote control
- Power supply
- USB cable
- AV cable (x2)
- Case support stand
- Hard drive installation screws
- Driver CD-ROM