The title offers players a chance to experience a brand-new gaming universe that contains the same award-winning visual content, innovative gameplay, and deep storylines that have made Final Fantasy one of the most popular videogame series in the world.
Twenty years have passed since the Great Crystal War, when the forces of darkness gathered and evil threatened the peaceful kingdoms of Vanadiel. An alliance was formed to rid Vanadiel of the evilbut after a narrow victory, the threat has returned. As the beastmen organize their forces and make their advance towards the nations of San d'Oria, Windurst, and Bastok, a desperate call goes out to adventurers around the globe for help. Begin your journey into the world of Vanadiel by creating a customized character from a host of physical attributes and jobs. Experience missions, quests, and boss battles by yourself or join up with other party members to form powerful alliances as you explore the incredibly vast environments that make up Vanadiel. In the end, fans will be pleased to discover that Final Fantasy XI will incorporate new features while retaining the renowned series familiar look and feel.
Through the PlayOnline Viewer, players will be able to connect and communicate on Final Fantasy XI -- whether they are playing on a PlayStation2 computer entertainment system or a PC. Aside from using the PlayOnline Viewer as your gateway to Final Fantasy XI, players can use other applications including PlayOnline Chat and PlayOnline Mail, access to support, customization tools, and other games, like the enhanced online version of the Tetra Master card game from Final Fantasy IX. First massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) in the renowned Final Fantasy series.
* First cross-platform massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) which allows gamers to connect to the same gaming world whether they are playing on a PlayStation2 or a PC.
* From one of three starting nations, players can partake in conquests to elevate their nations standing, missions to build their reputation within a nation, and quests to discover useful items, earn money, and uncover valuable information and discover more about the story of Vanadiel.
* Customize characters with a host of physical traits and jobs. Gain the ability to equip and switch support jobs at any time.
* Participate in special quests or missions to unlock exciting new jobs such as "Dark Knight", "Summoner", and "Ninja".
* Experience a complex yet well-balanced battle system fit for beginners and experienced gamers alike. Perform strategic attacks using magic, job abilities, and weapon skills.
* More than 100 areas to explore including mountains, forests, ice plains, deserts, oceans, rivers, castles, and dungeons.
* Live in a persistent world with time and climate changes that range from full day/night cycles to desert sandstorms, thunderstorms, fog, and snow.
* Players will be able to play at their own pace and form parties by utilizing various integrated communication tools, including easy-to-use PlayOnline Chat and PlayOnline Mail.
* Retention of the same visual style and deep storylines that have become a staple of the Final Fantasy series.
* Includes the PlayOnline Viewer software that contains communication tools, access to support, customization tools, and games including the enhanced online version of the Tetra Master card game from Final Fantasy IX.
Chains of Promathia Expansion
Final Fantasy XI blends sorcery and technology. The once peaceful world of Vanadiel stands at the brink of war as a power struggle slowly emerges among the three nations. The struggle focuses on the control of sacred crystals: an essential source of all creation. An unknown malevolent force rises in Vanadiel with a passion for the energy within the crystals.
The Chains of Promathia expansion pack opens a new chapter in the history of Vanadiel. Gamers will be able to explore previously unseen areas, visit new towns, and realize fabled legends. Yet as the mysteries of Vanadiel are unraveled, even more puzzling enigmas will take their place in this intricately designed expansion pack.