It's not just a gadget...
these can be useful if you're a contractor or if you take your laptop to other companies sites.
Computer security is a growing area of concern. Your information is private so you want to keep it secure even in your absence. This device works by detecting if the user is present at their desk. When the user leaves their desk, the computer goes into "lock mode ". When the person returns within a 2 metre range a password prompt appears and if entered correctly the computer unlocks and continues in full operation. Even if someone removes the dongle, a password will be required to disable the device.
* Effective range around 2 metres
* Operation frequencies: 434MHz (CE)
* Transmitter Power Supply: DC 3V
* Battery usage: approximately 2000 hours
* Receiver Power Supply: DC 5V - provided by the computer through the USB port
* Software Driver: supports Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
* Computer automatically enters 'Lock Mode' when the user is away from computer by more than an effective range
* The computer automatically resumes operation when the user is back to within an effective range
* Once the computer enters the 'Lock Mode' a password is required to use the computer if the transmitter/receiver pair is not available to unlock the computer.