What does the American Dream mean today? For Niko Bellic, fresh off the boat from Europe, it is the hope he can escape his past. For his cousin, Roman, it is the vision that together they can find fortune in Liberty City, gateway to the land of opportunity.
As they slip into debt and are dragged into a criminal underworld by a series of shysters, thieves and sociopaths, they discover that the reality is very different from the dream in a city that worships money and status, and is heaven for those who have them and a living nightmare for those who don't.
- The main character's name is Niko Bellic - he is an Eastern European immigrant
- Bellic arrives in Liberty City as he has been receiving emails from his cousin, Roman. At the start of the game, he is the only person you know.
- Roman lies to get Niko to come to Liberty City, by telling him he has women, cars and money...he is actually in huge debt. Niko thinks he will live the "American Dream".
- The Statue of Liberty is now called the Statue of Happiness, while DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is known as BOABO (Beneath the Offramp of the Algoquin Bridge Overpass).
- Liberty City's similarities to New York are as follows: Brooklyn = Broker; Manhattan = Algonquin; Queens = Dukes; Bronx = Bohan; New Jersey = Alderney
- The scale of Liberty City is slightly smaller than San Andreas, except now there are no wasted parts (with countryside for example), it is a lot more detailed.
- Since it's only New York, there will be no planes in the game which you can pilot. Rockstar want the game to seem realistic, i.e. you won't be needing planes. Helicopters, however, have been confirmed as being in the game.
- Pedestrians are a lot more realistic than previous GTA games, and do things such as smoke, sit on benches, read, go shopping, eat, and more...
- Rockstar have been working very hard on the targeting system - expect it to be a big improvement from previous games.
- After the initial loading sequence, there will be no more loading screens to sit through, not even when transitioning between interior and exterior environments
- While making the game, Rockstar consulted crime experts and ex-policemen and found that being a criminal is much more difficult now than it was during previous decades, so they have tried to reflect this in the game. Expect to see people getting arrested as the police are a heavy presence.
- Rockstar North approached the recruitment of voice actors in a different way. We probably won't hear and recognisable voices in 'GTA 4' because they are looking for voices that suit the attitude of the characters - This approach is also being carried over to the soundtrack, where Rockstar are looking for music which works well with the modern day Liberty City.
- You will use a mobile phone to call contacts
- The visual effects of the game will be massively enhanced - the rising and setting sun will reflect off glass and light up details on buildings; the streets will have potholes and rubble.
- Variations in terrain are reflected in the way people walk over it.
- A big part of the game is delivering story in new ways and allowing the player to plot their own destiny
Also available at Amazon for £12.99 if you prefer but no Quidco/NUS discounts. Amazon link below