H&M: From a Small Swedish Town to a Global Business
In 1947, in the Swedish town of Västerås, local entrepreneur Erling Persson opened a shop named Hennes, Swedish for "hers". The shop sold only women's clothing until 1968, when Persson acquired hunting apparel retailers Mauritz Widforss, and then began stocking menswear in his stores. After the acquisition, the two names were merged to become Hennes & Mauritz, or H&M, as we know them today.
Over the last fifty years, H&M have been embarking on a major expansion plan. The first store in the United Kingdom was opened in 1976, and the company’s expansion outside of Europe began in the 2000s. H&M owes its success due to its ability to offer sustainable fashion at affordable prices while keeping up with the latest trends and working with some of the world's most in-demand designers.
H&M in the UK
There are over 270 H&M stores in the UK and the company has a thriving online presence www.hm.com. Whether you prefer to go to the store or do it from the comfort of your home, H&M is never far away.
Wherever you are in the UK, the chances are there's an H&M store somewhere near you. If you'd rather go to the store and look around than do it online, you can find your nearest branch using the online Store Locator.
The H&M Product Range – At a Glance
When you go to the H&M online store, there are four main product categories for you to choose from:
- Ladies – For women's fashion check out the new arrivals, shop by product, concept, or take a look at the offers & highlights. You’ll find everything from clothes to shoes and accessories: Dresses, jeans & trousers, jackets & coats, lingerie, maternity wear, shirts & blouses, shorts, socks & tights and swimwear.
- Men’s – Everything for guys from shoes to clothing & accessories can be found in this section. You can browse using the same subcategories as in the Ladies' section and will find e.g. blazers & suits, jackets & coats, shirts, shorts, trousers & jeans, sportswear and swimwear.
- Kids – For boys and girls from babies to pre-teens clothes, footwear and accessories can be found in this section.
- Home – All the things to make your house into a home. Check the new arrivals, shop by room, product, feature or concept, or just browse the offers & highlights: e.g. bed linen, blankets, carpets, cushions, storage or towels.
Deals and Sales at H&M
At the H&M online store homepage you'll see a sale category where you can find reductions great and small on a whole range of H&M products in all of their main four categories.
For the last few years, H&M have been participating in the huge sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It's a good time for buying early Christmas presents or just to treat yourself to some clothes and accessories at discount prices.
H&M also regularly releases discount codes online, so make sure you keep an eye out for some bargains from them.
Ordering Products from H&M Online
Payment Methods at hm.com
H&M offers customers four methods of payment:
- Card payment – All Visa and Mastercards are accepted. H&M uses 3d Secure to ensure data security for card payments.
- Invoice – After you order, an invoice is sent to your email address. You then have 20 days to pay the balance via bank transfer.
- Pay next month – All purchases, as well as returns that are made within a month, are put on a statement which can be paid by bank transfer. This method incurs a fee of £1.25.
- Monthly instalments – For this to be an option, you need to have a signed agreement with H&M.
H&M deliver anywhere in the UK (except the Channel Islands). They offer two types of delivery:
- Standard delivery – £3.99 or free for orders over £50. Your items will be delivered within 2-3 working days of your order.
- Next day delivery – £5.99. For items ordered before 19:00, items will arrive before 20:00 the following day.
H&M Refunds and Return Policy
Orders may be cancelled within 28 days from the delivery of the last item(s) in your order. H&M offers four methods of return:
- Hermes courier – You can arrange for a Hermes courier to collect your order, free of charge. Contact information is provided on a yellow sticker inside your parcel.
- Hermes parcel shop – Attach the label included and bring the parcel to your nearest Hermes shop.
- Royal Mail – Attach the pre-paid returns label and take it to your local Post Office.
- In-store return – Take the item personally to an H&M store of your choice with proof of purchase.
Refunds are made to the debit or credit used to make the initial purchase. If you paid using another method, you'll receive a merchandise card of equivalent value, which can be redeemed at any H&M store, but not online.
For full information on returns and refunds, see here.
H&M Social Media Channels, App, and Other Media
You can keep up to date with all the best deals, online discounts, latest news, and hot offers from H&M by following them on their social media platforms.
H&M also publishes regular features, interviews, stories and reviews in their online magazine. The magazine is dedicated to fashion, culture and beauty and is updated daily with inspiration and features from all over the world.
Subscribers to H&M's email newsletter get access to a whole host of exclusive offers as well as fashion news, style tips and inspiration. When you sign up, you're eligible to get a discount on one item and free delivery on your next purchase at the online store. Just provide some basic information to subscribe.
H&M Shopping App
The H&M app is operational on both iOS and Android devices. You can use the app to:
- Find inspiration and browse H&M products at your fingertips.
- Enjoy exclusive offers and access sale items immediately.
- Stay on top of the latest trends.
- Receive instant alerts on new arrivals, great offers, and fashion events.
- Find your nearest store, wherever you are in the world.
You can contact the H&M customer service centre using all the usual methods:
- Phone 020 73232211 or 0344 7369000 (landlines cost basic national rates, mobiles vary depending on your provider). The opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 21:00, Saturdays from 9:00 to 18:00, Sundays and Bank Holidays from 9:00 to 17:00.
- Email: [email protected]
- You can also use the contact form on their website if you have any queries.
- If you prefer to communicate by post, you can write to the UK head office at:
- H&M Hennes & Mauritz UK Ltd.
25 Argyll Street,
London, W1F 7TS
For the latest and best online deals, discounts, bargains and money-saving offers at H&M, make sure to keep track of the dedicated H&M offers pages at HotUKDeals.