Mass Effect is a science-fiction action and role-playing game (RPG) created by BioWare, the commercially and critically acclaimed RPG developer of Jade Empire and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Mass Effect will deliver an immersive, story-driven gameplay experience with stunning visual fidelity.
As the first humans on the galactic stage, players must uncover the greatest threat to civilization. Their job is complicated by the fact that no one will believe the truth, but the world must be convinced of the grave threat at hand.
Players will travel across an expansive universe to piece the mystery together. As they discover and explore the uncharted edges of the galaxy, they come closer to an overwhelming truth - learning that the placid and serene universe they know is about to come to a violent end and that they may be the only people who can stop it!
* Incredible Sci-Fi RPG with a Rich, Engaging Story Line: On a distant planet an amazing discovery is made. Players must determine the fate of humanity as they lead an elite tactical strike force in an effort to stop an entity so malevolent that it threatens to tear apart the very fiber of galactic civilization. Mass Effect will take players to new depths for an action-RPG, where, unlike in most RPGs, they will be faced with morally complex decisions that have significant impact on the fate of all life in the galaxy.
* Explore Uncharted Worlds and Uncover a Mystery that Defies Imagination: In addition to the main story arc of the game, players will be able to visit a large number of uncharted, unexplored planets that are side quests independent from the main story. At any time during the campaign, a player can choose to explore one of these planets and have an opportunity to discover new alien life, resources, ruined civilizations and powerful technologies.
* Real-Time, Squad-Based Combat: Mass Effect features a real-time, squad-based tactical combat system. Players will enjoy intense, challenging and exciting third-person action and squad-based combat. Players and their squad-mates will be able to engage the enemy with ranged weapons and covering fire, biotic powers and science-based magic, and technological powers - all of which will be accompanied by amazing visual and physics effects that will add tremendous excitement and drama to the battlefield.
* Credible Digital Actors: Mass Effect will feature a huge cast of incredibly realistic non-player characters, enemies and party members. Each of the characters encountered will have realistic facial and body movements.
* Character Customisation and Deep Role-Playing Systems: Choose from and customise a variety of stunning, photo-realistic character appearances at the start of the game, and can increase various statistics that will affect their performance during gameplay.