(Firstly, all credit & respect must go to user R1PLEY on avforums for highlighting this deal)
Ok, this is a scorcher if you can pull it off, but as ever, (for the best deals), it'll need a bit of phonework, legwork, persuasiveness & some luck....but it's worth a pop!
Comet are clearing out Sony Handycam HDR-CX6ek HD Camcorder for a measley £359.99.
This is a brilliant spec HD Camcorder & for this price - it's just crazy!
It comes with a 4GB Memory stick in the box!
Even as I type, Amazon have it listed as £686.90 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HDRCX6-Definition-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B000RF7TQQ
It's not an online deal.
Here's what you need to do (stock is scant, so act fast!)....
1. Call Comet Customer service on 08705 425 425 - tell them that you need help tracking down an item that's discontinued - the item code is 401307 . This will come up as a Sony Handycam HDR-CX6ek on their system - it will still show up at their pre-clearance price of £599.99.
2. Don't argue the toss at this point - just try & locate the stock!
(I should say that if any branch only has one left in stock, then I'd pass....it'll be their display model & Comet's 'display' camcorders are not behind a glass cabinet & get thrown around something rotten!)
3. Once you've located a branch with more than one in stock...get them to reserve it for you.
4. Ok, now you've 'bagged' one - let the fun & games commence!
5. Call back Comet CS & explain that you've reserved item 401307 at branch "X"....that yes, it's showing on their system as £599.99 but you know of several on internet forums that have only paid £359.99.....& obviously you want it at that price! They will most likely try & fob you off saying that they must be ex-dem models for that price - they're most definitely NOT! I personally bought one from the Watford Branch brand new sealed in the box & using the above step, I nailed it for £359.99. (though they tried to fob me of on the phone first - fortunately I got a great Comet CS called Lynn who sorted it all out for me). Lyn said that Comet's system will initially show the £599.99, but when "they run a ticket off" it then comes up with the discontinued price of £359.99 - that's the problem...unless they run the ticket off (whatever the hell that means), it doesn't apply the discount. this could even be a yarn to get them off the hook (as I'd persisted as to why people were paying £359.99 whne their system still showed £599.99)
I've read of two others who have done this too (one in the Carlisle Branch & one in the Middlebrook, Bolton Branch - see here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810604
Ask Comet CS to get the manager of the store you've reserved it at to speak to the manager at either the Carlisle, Watford or Middlebrook branches towards establishing what he needs to do to sell at £359.99 to you too (btw you can't talk directly to the Comet Stores - it all has to be done through Comet CS - the level of CS helpfulness varies...if you get an unhelpful person, just terminate the call & call straight back!)