Next best price is £549.99 at Hargrove cycles and £599.99 most everywhere else.
A quarter century of informed evolution.
The Rockhopper's M4 tubing is so advanced, Specialized once reserved it for their 4-figure Stumpjumpers. The geometry has been fine tuned over the past quarter century to a confidence-inspiring level of neutral-handling perfection. More than any other hardtail we do, the Specialized Rockhopper has form.
* For 2009/10, the Rockhopper SL frame has been further refined.
* The stays are asymmetrical - the RH side being reinforced to cope with drivetrain stresses.
* The frame is smooth welded.
* M4 frame - aluminium reinforced with silicon, copper, magnesium and vanadium, M4 was previously reserved for Specialized’s 4-figure Stumpjumpers. Almost twice the tensile strength of 6061 aluminium, the Specialized Rockhopper's M4 tubing can be safely built into a thinner walled, hence a lighter weight and more comfortable frame.
* Ore (Optimized Radius Engineering) down tube.
* ORE aligns the material with the forces applied to the frame at specific points, head tube forces being different to bottom bracket forces. It also provides the greatest weld surface area at the highest stress zones to maximise strength and stiffness without adding additional gussets and the extra weight they would carry. Like all the best frame designs, ORE is about delivering maximum strength and minimal weight.
* Even this least expensive Rockhopper is equipped with RockShox and hydraulic forks - a sign of the times that these are near-mandatory on today's mountain bikes.
* Weight: 12.8kg/28.25lb.