Cheapest for this item, with free delivery via Amazon!
A film that’s rightly been gathering a richly-deserved reputation for being something of an underappreciated gem, Stardust is the second feature from director Matthew Vaughn. His first, Layer Cake, was a solid gangster effort, and his third, Kick-Ass, is emerging as 2010’s must see comic-book movie.
Stardust, meanwhile, is a charming, ambitious and really entertaining piece of fantasy cinema. Adapted from the novel of the same name by Neil Gaiman, it tells the story of a young man who promises to head into a magical realm to bring back a falling star. From that concept is woven an involving story, that’s magically brought to life. Stardust is not a big budget film, but often, you’d be loathed to see it. There’s a real feel of a labour of love here, and it’s hard not to be smitten by the end result.
Furthermore, it’s served well by a terrific cast. Among the faces popping up in Stardust are Michelle Pfeiffer, Claire Danes, Robert De Niro, Ben Barnes and Peter O’Toole, with Ian McKellen brought in on voiceover duties. But it’s ultimately the sheer look and feel of the project, beautifully evoked by a strong Blu-ray transfer, that makes this a film aching to find an even bigger audience. A 1080p treat, and a rough diamond of a film.--Jon Foster
• ‘Making Of’ Feature (60 minutes in HD)
• “The Quest For The Stone” (the Book)
• “A Portal To Another World” (from Book to Screen)
• “What Do Stars Do? They Shine” (the cast)
• “A Quest Of Enormous Importance” (locations and effects)
• “Have You Seen A Falling Star?” (summing up)
• "Nothing is True" – Behind the Scenes of Stardust with Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess
• Deleted Scenes
• Director's Commentary