Tamron super-zoom lens for Nikon and Canon mounts. Bought this last week in-store from Jessops at £349 and found that it had dropped another £20 today! I think it's making way for the newer version which has an ultrasonic PZD focus, but is priced at £499.95.
It is definitely available in-store but seems to be out-of-stock for home delivery currently. You can still order it online for collection though.
To pre-empt some of the comments regarding this lens:
- No it isn't going to give you the sharpest pictures, but the reviews aren't all that bad:http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/default.asp
- Yes, having a large range of 18-270mm is going to result in some compromises in performance across that range, but again, if you only want to take one lens with you then this is a pretty good walk-around lens. And it isn't priced as high as the Nikon/Canon competition...
- Yes it does have vibration reduction/image stabilization
- Yes it does have a built-in motor for Nikon cameras that don't (eg, D40, D60, D5000) - don't know about Canons...
Here's the blurb:
Designed for digital SLRs with smaller sensors, this lens delivers amazing firepower with an angle of view equivalent to that of a 28mm wide-angle to a 419mm ultra telephoto – all in just one lens. Great Tamron technology lets the user capture amazing landscapes to close-up pictures without having to get too close to the subject and without having to change lenses.
* Uses two Low Dispersion and three aspherical glass elements
* Minimum focus of 0.49m over the entire zoom range and maximum magnification ratio of 1:3.5
* Optical system optimised for digital imaging sensors giving better light distribution at the sensor and less falloff
* Multi-layer coatings to counteract ghosting and flare
* Slim diameter of less than 80mm
* Zoom lock to stop unwanted lens creep
* Petal hood supplied as standard
* Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups
* Angle of View: 75 deg, 33 min (equivalent angles of view when converted to 35mm)
* Minimum Focus Distance: 0.49m over entire zoom range
* Diaphragm Blades: 7
* Minimum Aperture: f22