Producer George Pal and director Byron Haskins' landmark adaptation of the H.G. Wells classic novel that focuses on the invasion of the earth by Martian war machines.
It's a work of frightening imagination, with its manta-ray spaceships armed with cobra-like probes that shoot a white-hot disintegration ray. As formations of alien ships continue to wreak destruction around the globe, the military is helpless to stop this enemy while scientists race to find an effective weapon.
It finally takes an unseen threat - simple Earth bacteria - to conquer the alien invaders, but not before War of the Worlds has provided a dazzling display of impressive special effects.
This is the kind of spectacular that inspired kids such as Steven Spielberg and still packs a punch - delivering eye-popping thrills and unrelenting, edge-of-your-seat suspense.
Winner of the 1953 Academy Award for Best Special Effects.
* Audio commentary from stars Gene Barry and Ann Robinson
* Audio commentary from Joe Dante, Bob Burns and Bill Warren
* 'This Is Only A Story' audio feature): `War of the Worlds' radio play, originally
broadcast by WABC & CBS on Halloween night 1938
* 'H. G. Wells - The Father Of Science Fiction': a featurette examining his life's work
and lasting impact on literature and film
* 'The Sky Is Falling': a 'Making Of' featurette
* Original theatrical trailer
* Trailer for Steven Spielberg's 2005 'War Of The Worlds' film