Not really a deal... more a compendium of tips
Buy an annual Travelcard
- An annual travelcard costs is 15 percent cheaper than if you buy it monthly; a one year travelcard from Zone 1-9 will cost your £2600 rather than £2995.20 if you buy Travelcards monthly.
- A season Travelcard will give you 1/3 off the normal fare on Scheduled Riverboat services - just show your Travelcard or Oyster card with a Travelcard on it at the time of travel.
- If you can afford it, buy your ticket using a credit card if possible which gives you cashback - Egg will give you back up to £26.
- If you can't afford it, buy the ticket using a credit card and transfer it to a long 0% deal. The Virgin MBNA card gives you 15 months, 0% with a 2.98% fee, you will be charged £77.48 for that.
- Of course, you can combine the two above and keep the £2600 you saved for your bank account stashed in an ISA and pay them back after one year. £2600 will give you more than £130 worth in interest.
Adult rate annual Travelcards (Gold Cards) also offer you, your family and friends reduced prices on rail travel throughout London and the South East area on most National Rail services.
Save 1/3 on a range of single and return National Rail tickets when travelling after 1000 Monday to Friday, or anytime at weekends and on public holidays.
Travel First Class for a supplement of only £5 (£2.50 for children) per single or day return journey some travel restrictions apply.
Buy Zones 1 - 6 Off-Peak Day Travelcards for friends and family at an adult reduced price of £4.80 (£1 for accompanying children)*. Off-Peak Day Travelcards with additional availability from National Rail stations outside the zonal area are also available at reduced prices.
Gold Card holders can buy a Network Railcard for a relative or friend for just £1, a saving of £19 on the full price. A Network Railcard offers similar reduced prices to those available to Gold Card holders but these are subject to minimum fare and other restrictions.
* If you hold an annual Travelcard valid in Zones 1-6 you only need buy reduced price tickets for accompanying adults and children. If your annual Travelcard is not valid in all of Zones 16 and you are buying reduced price tickets for accompanying adults, you will also need to buy a Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard for yourself.