You can play lead or bass guitar by just pressing buttons on the Wii remote and strumming along on the nunchuck. Special moves like windmilling are recognised instantly, as you not only try to keep the rhythm but also keep the crowd excited.
Anyone can play drums too, with the remote and nunchuck held like drum sticks, or become the frontman (or woman). You don't actually sing into a mic but you do have to dance and wave your arms in time with the song. It's a shame the music doesn't change as you make a mistake, but otherwise this is a fun, budget alternative to Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
* No artificial extras : Play guitar, drums or vocals but without the need for any extra controllers - just the Wii remote and nunchuck or the stylus of the DS.
Video games can make your wildest popstar dreams come true - but all those expensive extra controllers means that even virtual success comes at a heavy price. With Ultimate Band though, you don't need any extra equipment or peripherals at all.
* Top of the pops : 30 hit songs (15 on the DS), with newly recorded lyrics for hits from everyone from The Kinks to Avril Lavigne and Pink to the Plain White T's.
* Dress up : Create your own unique rock persona and customise them with unlockable clothes and accessories as you progress through the game.
* Zero to hero : Work your way up from unknown young hopefuls practicing in your garage to mega famous pop stars rocking out at huge stadium gigs.
* Ultimate connectivity : Create and record your own songs on the DS version, then link it up to the Wii to control stage lighting and effects on the touchscreen!