As hard drive capacities increase, the power required to run those drives increases as well. WD Caviar Green drives make it possible for energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.
* Reduced power consumption - WD has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared to standard desktop drives with the combination of WD's IntelliSeek, NoTouch, and IntelliPower technologies.
* Helps enable eco-friendly PCs - WD Caviar Green drives yield an average drive power savings of 4-5 watts over standard desktop drives making it possible for our energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.
* Cool and quiet - GreenPower technology yields lower operating temperatures for increased reliability and low acoustics for ultra-quiet PCs and external drives.
* Massive capacity - Capacities up to 2 TB offer the most available capacity for storage-intensive programs and space-hungry operating systems, like Window Vista®, with plenty of room left over for photos, music, and video.
* Perfect for external drives - External drive manufacturers can eliminate the need for a fan in a high-capacity product with a WD Caviar Green drive, the coolest and quietest in its class.
* IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.
* IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise, and vibration.
* NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
* Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - Employs PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
* StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (2 TB models only)
* Low power spin-up - WD Caviar Green drives consume less current during startup allowing lower peak loads.
* Advanced power technology - Electronic components deliver best-in-class low power consumption for reduced power requirements and increased reliability.
* Ideal For - Environmentally friendly PCs and external storage requiring lower power consumption and cool, quiet operation.
For hard drive reviews check out : ( cheers lavieyn )http://hothardware.com/Articles/Defi...oundup/?page=4
This is a 5400RPM drive but is much faster than "older" 7200rpm based drives ( think 300gb and under )