[Suggestion] Get rid of COLD VOTES
The other day I got wound up, and not for the first time, because a deal that I posted went cold for no good reason. Yes, I know everything is subjective, but we'll get to that.
What purpose do cold votes serve? Let's have a look at what they do.
* They breed a feeling of negativity.
Nobody likes being told their deal is crap, even if it is. They went through the effort of posting a deal, surely that's the main thing?
* They discourage people posting.
I understand the need to prevent spam but this is not the way to do it, because you'll also put off people from posting genuinely useful deals.
* It makes HUKD non newbie friendly and promotes trolling.
There's a reason newbies start their posts with "please be gentle"; it's because HUKD is often quite hostile and stomps deals that weren't that bad into the ground, and sometimes the OP gets a lot of flak as well.
* They counter hot votes, so if a deal is useful to one person but not another, the deal remains neutral or goes cold.
This has horrendous implications for "niche" deals; things that only appeal to a small audience but are good deals nonetheless (e.g. because it's the cheapest they've ever been) will usually get cold over time as most folks don't see the value in the merchandise.
HUKD should be a place to share deals, not a place to bash people's deals.
May times I've seen deals go cold for no reason. e.g.
One was a bamboo tablet thread some poor dude raised, whilst he got heat from people that could read, most just clicked cold because it wasn't the cheapest. Except it was. For that model, which was a better version.
I've recently had another bad experience myself, posting about Big Fish games having a day only credit sale. It was it the cheapest you could get those casual games for, by a mile in fact, but it went cold because 1, Someone misunderstood the deal and thought they were flash games and 2, Someone didn't understand that casual games are usually more expensive thus the deal was good. Even worse, some of the cold votes will have been from people who obtain the software for free, illegally, then have the audacity to flag my deal as bad because apparently breaking the law is a much better option.
There was a niche deal, can't remember if I posted it or someone else, for the T3 special pack with a big plastic head. It was like 20 quid cheaper than it ever had been, but went cold. Because it's a niche item, and not many people, especially the beloved HUKD bargain hunters, would ever be interseted in it. Yet they clicked cold anyway.
If cold voting were removed:
* People would feel better about posting deals they weren't sure about e.g. niche deals, or deals that were cheaper in the past but can't be got at that price anymore.
* It would negate some of the nastiness that ends up in cold deals.
* It would stop niche or misunderstood deals falling into the abyss.
* It would make hot/popular deals go even hotter.
* It would stop HUKD being a popularity contest, voting cold because someone annoyed you in the past.
* It would stop people feeling they have to put disclaimers into their deals because they're scared of cold votes (e.g. I know this is 1p cheaper on xxx but it's not in stock there blah de blah..)
* Duplicate deals would simply be reported using a new "duplicate" button.
* Spam deals would be reported as per current means.
* Bum deals could be reported as per current means.
We'd then have a scenario where very poor deals don't go above 0 degrees, which is fine, I don't see why they have to be cold voted to see that they're no good.
Also often is the case that even though it isn't the cheapest an item has ever been, it's the cheapest you can get it for right now. Should that deal be cold? No! Because someone looking to buy that item right now will appreciate you put the effort into posting where it's in stock at it's cheapest right now. And they'll give heat. And you deserve the heat.
Anyway that's my suggestion on what would make HUKD better. Cold isn't in the site name, cold shouldn't be a part of the site, period.