Break the World Record for the heaviest pumpkin and win £10,000!
Following the success of their previous pumpkin growing and pumpkin carving competitions, Thompson & Morgan is throwing down the gauntlet once more! Interested giant pumpkin growers can order FREE seeds from Thompson & Morgan and attempt to grow a prize-winning specimen.
Ian Paton and his twin brother, Stuart, currently hold the record for the heaviest pumpkin grown in the UK with a fruit weighing in at an amazing 1,504lb. So with these special seeds - Pumpkin ‘Paton Twins Giant’ - there’s a possibility of smashing the British, European or even the World record! Prize money ranges from £30 for 10th place to an amazing £10,000 for a pumpkin which beats the existing 1,818lb world record.
To be in with a chance of growing a winner, you should think about sowing your pumpkin seeds in April to give them the best possible start.
Thompson & Morgan is offering you the chance to order a free packet of Pumpkin ‘Paton Twins Giant’ seeds (worth £9.99). To order your free packet of seeds click here.
How to grow a giant pumpkin
Step 1 - Order your free packet of pumpkin seeds from Thompson & Morgan - click here.
Step 2 - Plant your seeds according to the instructions on the packet.
Step 3 - Follow the tips below on how to grow a giant pumpkin. click here for more tips.
Step 4 - Bring your pumpkin to the annual Jubilee Sailing Trust Annual Pumpkin Festival (www.jst.hampshire.org.uk) at the Royal Victoria Country Park in Southampton on October 13th 2012.
Step 5 - Have your pumpkin weighed to find out if you’ve beaten the UK, European or the World Record!
By entering this competition you will be eligible to receive one of the following prizes should you break the relevant record:
- The largest ever pumpkin recorded by weight in the World - £10,000
- The current World record is 1,818.5lb
- The largest ever pumpkin recorded by weight in Europe - £2,500
- The current record is 1,611lb
- The largest ever pumpkin recorded by weight in the UK - £1,000
- The current record is 1,504 lb
If no record is broken, prize money will be paid to the growers of the top ten heaviest pumpkins as follows. If a record is broken, the highest second place prize will be £150.
1. £300 2. £150 3. £100 4. £75 5. £50 6. £30 7. £30 8. £30 9. £30 10. £30
N.B. The above records stand as of Wednesday 28th March 2012, therefore, if a record is broken after this date and before our weigh-in on Saturday 13th October 2012 the new record weight will be used and not the weight as specified above.
By entering this competition you agree that:
1. Any pumpkin that breaks the World, European, or UK record will become the exclusive property of Thompson & Morgan (UK) Limited “TMUK”, of Poplar Lane, Ipswich, Suffolk IP8 3BU.
2. Anyone winning a prize agrees to allow TMUK the right to use any photographs taken of entries to be used for publicity and marketing purposes and to assist in any publicity and marketing regarding the prize.
3. The winner will make themselves available for any reasonable requests by TMUK for publicity or marketing efforts including photography and interviews.
4. TMUK’s decision on prize eligibility is final.