Algae problem in fish tank - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Algae problem in fish tank

Perpita Avatar
7y, 11m agoPosted 7 years, 11 months ago
Hi went to a friends yesterday and her fish tank was as clear as glass due to a little creature that eats all the algae. She bought two (sorry can't remember name) but after placing in her tank 3 of her 4 fish died. I would love one of these for my tank but my gold fish is quite old inherited him from an uncle who died no one wanted it but my kids! I don't want to kill him off as the kids would be heartbroken. Anyone got any recomendations for help with algae and the fishes name thanx
Tags:
Perpita Avatar
7y, 11m agoPosted 7 years, 11 months ago
Options

All Comments

(15) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Comments/page:
#2
Could be feeding too much, excess food feeds the algae. Also too much light causes algae. Keep it away from the window and limit the amount of time the lights are on in the tank.
#3
do a water change regularly and a product called clean water is good too for algae
#4
Is your friends tank tropical & not cold water ?

Sounds like a bristlenose plec, but you cant have one in a cold water tank.

Algae will be mostly due to the amount of light in your tank. Is it getting any daylight ? Do you have a light on within the tank ?

Plus, have you a filter for your goldfish ?
#5
Pavers
Could be feeding too much, excess food feeds the algae. Also too much light causes algae. Keep it away from the window and limit the amount of time the lights are on in the tank.



exactly. Keep your filter on all day as well.
#6
We had a problem with algae and we got the little algae eater fish and some extra real plants and they did a brilliant job. The tank looked fab. My fish never died after adding them and they are getting on now too. The algae eaters didn't last that long mind you, just a few months, but then I don't know how long they're supposed to live. Definately a good idea though.
#7
You don't buy a fish to solve a problem, you need the correct tank for the fish.

Was this the little fella ?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/martinjump/bristlenose_sm.jpg
#8
wheni had our fish tank i was told at the pet shop to buy snails as they go round the glass eating the algae, and so true it was!
#9
lol, and then you will be over-run by snails - they are a pain to get rid of if they get in your tank !
#10
my algae eater eddie,he is a big boy!
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x254/mardy-ass/fish.jpg
#11
Borneo Sucker's are suitable for cold water tanks and get on with goldfish, they are small and look kind like space aliens, fascinating to watch in your tanks though. Quite hard to find in the UK, we got some in the Midlands about 2 years ago but havent seen them since, although any good fish dealer would probably order you some in. They eat algae and keep the glass spotless.

Much smaller than plec's (we also have very large ones of these but they are more suited to tropical water and they have a different tank)

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Borneo%20Sucker.htm
#12
you get cold water plecs. we sell them at work . have your light on for only three to four hours. only a pinch of food and keep tank out of direct sunlight. Algae pads a good and it only takes few mins to clean the glass .
#13
thank you all fo
#14
thanx all for your responses I have just invested in a cold water plec who will be a busy boy! I've also been advised I'm over feeding them as wasn't sure how much to feed them but there isn't a light on the tank so fingers crossed hopefully this will solve my problems another thing I was doing wrong was washing the filter in clean water when I should use dirty tank water as I have been elimating the good algae apparently so we will see thanks guys x
#15
yup over feeding causes nitrate which kills fish. washing the fliter under the tap kills all good bacteria. which makes your ammonia high and nirate and nirite

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!