Apple Mac Book Pro Advice Please! - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HotUKDeals, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HotUKDeals app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Apple Mac Book Pro Advice Please!

£0.00 @ Apple
Right all you Apple Mac savvy people...some advice please: I thinking of getting a MBP 2.4 but it has limited (2GB) RAM and limited VRAM (256MB) . Can I upgrade the RAM to 4GB and hence will tha… Read More
Xiwt Avatar
8y, 2m agoPosted 8 years, 2 months ago
Right all you Apple Mac savvy people...some advice please:

I thinking of getting a MBP 2.4 but it has limited (2GB) RAM and limited VRAM (256MB) .

Can I upgrade the RAM to 4GB and hence will that up the DDR3 VRAM to 512MB for the 9600M GT card?

Also in doing this would I invalidate any warranty? Or would I have to go through Apple?
Other Links From Apple:
Xiwt Avatar
8y, 2m agoPosted 8 years, 2 months ago
Options

All Comments

(27) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Comments/page:
#1
Upgrade RAM to 4GB, very easy Go to Crucial Very Reliable and pretty cheap. Also they guarantee all there memory so providing you have chosen/ordered the right stuff if it doesn't work they will replace/refund.

Adding RAM will make no difference to your Graphics Memory, thats a solid chip in the Macbooks its there for good no adding no taking away.

Adding Memory (RAM) In no way invalidates your warranty, unless you do it with a knife and fork.

Oh for god sake do not ever buy Memory From Apple its 100% Mark Up, highway robbery!
#2
Yeah I noticed their markups are ridiculously overpriced... sony is not too bad tbh.

Ahhhhhh shame about the VRAM that sux ... what useless waste of two graphic chipsets on the 2.4 they should've just plowed more memory into the 9600 like on the other higher spec'd MBP models.
#3
Are you getting the 15" or the 17" version? We just bought the new cheap(ish) whitebook and that is pretty good. 2.0GHz CPU seems fast enough and the GeForce 9400M is much better than the previous generation cruddy Intel graphics. The Macbook Pro notebooks are very nice, but they do seem overpriced when you see what you get in the £720 whitebook.
#4
I'm looking at the 15.4" 2.4 MBP on the apple uk site.
1 Like #5
Also consider John Lewis. You get a 2 year warranty if you buy through them.
#6
Faster Processor, 2 Graphics chips and a bigger screen is what you pay for on the MacbookPro. Not to mention a damn sexy back lit keyboard! lol

Depends what your after, I wouldn't generally recommend a Mac Laptop for Portable Gaming, but then you wouldn't get a Gaming Laptop the same size as the MBP it would be 3 times the weight and thickness.

It all depends on your Application.
#7
So the ONLY way to get 512mb 9600M GT is by choosing a 2.53 or above basically ya?
#8
Celticsun
Faster Processor, 2 Graphics chips and a bigger screen is what you pay for on the MacbookPro.


Not disputed - but you pay nearly twice as much as the whitebook for a 20% gain in clock speed and better graphics. Apple should be able to do better on its pricing than that.
#9
Ya I need 15.4 screen at least thats why it has to be MBP from Apple for me.
#10
Unibody, Illuminated keyboard as well!
#11
Celticsun
I wouldn't generally recommend a Mac Laptop for Portable Gaming, but then you wouldn't get a Gaming Laptop the same size as the MBP it would be 3 times the weight and thickness.


Neither would I - I'd say get a DS or PSP and save a grand or more if all you want to do is play games on the move! :)
#12
Hmmm I'm just thinking...what about iMac...hmm...they are bound to update them though no v.soon....then I'll be gutted...at least the MBPs will be around for a while...no?
#13
I don't want to play any games on the machine at all
#14
Spod
Not disputed - but you pay nearly twice as much as the whitebook for a 20% gain in clock speed and better graphics. Apple should be able to do better on its pricing than that.


Mmmm, I know what you mean but I can see why they do it, its a different market the MB and MBP, admittedly since the recent revision on the Macbook the spec gaps have closed in but so have the prices if your talking about the Uni-body models, you will find in the next 6 months the MBP will change and the gap will be more apparent.


iMac updates immenent like The MacPro so I would hold fire if your thinking of one of those
#16
ok you seem v v v knowledgeable... I'm willing to wait max say 1-2 months... so you think I should hold out?
#17


Better value going for the one below, you could throw 4GB of RAM at it for £40 HDD easy enough to change if you want to upgrade it, and the extra 256 of VRAM hardly seems worth it if games are not involved.

Xiwt
ok you seem v v v knowledgeable... I'm willing to wait max say 1-2 months... so you think I should hold out?



If your talking iMac then yes I would definetley wait, new Processors out end of March that should generate a rather large Processor leap in the iMacs and MacPro.

The iMac hasn't been updated for 304 days Avgerage revision time is 211
#18


Ya I think but I'm not overfussed about CPU speed I'd be fine with 2.4 so I was trying to save a fair few hundred bucks...but the VRAM is an issue no... as you can't up that?
#19
Celticsun
If your talking iMac then yes I would definetley wait, new Processors out end of March that should generate a rather large Processor leap in the iMacs and MacPro.

The iMac hasn't been updated for 304 days Avgerage revision time is 211


I assume they will be moving to Core i7 then? That would explain the wait. The Core i7 really is very fast.
1 Like #20
Xiwt
Ya I think but I'm not overfussed about CPU speed I'd be fine with 2.4 so I was trying to save a fair few hundred bucks...but the VRAM is an issue no... as you can't up that?


If your doing photo editing and video editing you will find the MBP performs more than well enough. The biggest draw back you may find is the HDD speed 5400rpm makes quite a difference over 7200rpm. But thats easily remedied buy getting an External Firewire 800 HDD for any Video Rendering or Large file moving.

Spod
I assume they will be moving to Core i7 then? That would explain the wait. The Core i7 really is very fast.



Yeah, the MacPros will go to the Xeon Version of the Nehalems and the iMacs to the i7 desktop version.

Its also likely we may see Macbook Pro i7s Q4 of this year.
#21
Celticsun
Better value going for the one below, you could throw 4GB of RAM at it for £40 HDD easy enough to change if you want to upgrade it, and the extra 256 of VRAM hardly seems worth it if games are not involved.




If your talking iMac then yes I would definetley wait, new Processors out end of March that should generate a rather large Processor leap in the iMacs and MacPro.

The iMac hasn't been updated for 304 days Avgerage revision time is 211


I love it when people have figures to back what they are saying... on that basis I'm going to hold out for new iMac I think...also I read somewhere that Apple has warned it's distributors that availability of some iMacs will be limited I'm not sure if this is a rumour or fact though...but it would tally with the fact that an update is overdue.
#22
BTW Celticsun which computer do you have and do you use Adobe CS4 products?
#23
Xiwt
BTW Celticsun which computer do you have and do you use Adobe CS4 products?


Using CS3 at the moment, I currently have an ageing iBook, numerous older Macs and a heinz 57 PC i refer to as my [email protected] :p

I am waiting for the new MacPro hopefully appearing in April, I have put off buying the damn thing for 4 years waiting for a suitable revision.

Will probably invest in CS4 at the same time.

My old man bought the last model of the MacBookPro and I must say its pretty impressive runs Adobes CS Apps with no probs. Nice bright clear screen for photo/video editing.


The iMacs will also move over to NVIDIA graphics chips as well, much like the current high spec one running the 8800GS 512MB
#24
Thanks for the advice, repped...so just to confirm if you were me you would hold out for thenext couple months if you were also considering an iMac?!
#25
Xiwt
Thanks for the advice, repped...so just to confirm if you were me you would hold out for thenext couple months if you were also considering an iMac?!


If iMac is in your equation... hold out without a doubt! couple of months aint gonna hurt.. well ££ will burn a hole in your pocket like me no doubt but should be well worth the wait :thumbsup:
#26
Kool, thanks once again guys!
#27
Spod
Are you getting the 15" or the 17" version? We just bought the new cheap(ish) whitebook and that is pretty good. 2.0GHz CPU seems fast enough and the GeForce 9400M is much better than the previous generation cruddy Intel graphics. The Macbook Pro notebooks are very nice, but they do seem overpriced when you see what you get in the £720 whitebook.


very true, there was big con about 2 years back, if you maxed the upgrade options on the white Ibook you would actually have a better spec than the Macbook pro at the time and save about £200-£300.

May be worth comparing now.

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!