Council tax - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Council tax

Perpita Avatar
5y, 9m agoPosted 5 years, 9 months ago
Hi I have found out that I can reduce my council tax bill as I'm a single parent on a low income. My problem is that this wasn't well advertised and I have found out I have overpaid by £60 per month for four years. Is there anyway I can claim some of that money back. They say that they only take you claim from the day that you approach them. Anyone know if there's any cases of people claiming back or how to go about it. Thanx.
Perpita Avatar
5y, 9m agoPosted 5 years, 9 months ago

All Comments

(3) Jump to unreadPost a comment
I've no idea about backdating it, but I do know that if your the only adult in the home,you get a 25% discount off your bill.
I'm sure I got a cheque from them when I applied for single person discount as I had to say when I began living alone and the payment was about 105 quid I think not much about 2 months overpayments

I might be wrong as I can't really remember as it was a while ago

sorry I couldn't be more help
I just think it's so unfair I have struggled to pay the council tax every month and apart from my mortgage it's m biggest bill. And that's with the 25% discount. I agree they can charge you for as long back as they wish but we can not claim retrospectively. It stinks. I didn't know that if you were on a low income you can get another reduction. I have always paid my way nvr claimed and now I am actually entittled to something I can't get anything back. There's people who have nvr paid into the system claiming left right and centre and I've paid in for 26 yrs. Sorry rant over lol x

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!