CSA...can anyone help me pls? - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

CSA...can anyone help me pls?

mamamia7 Avatar
7y, 4m agoPosted 7 years, 4 months ago
My partner has been paying for his son ever since he left over 5 yrs ago (he also travels 400 miles to see him every few weeks). Anyway his ex partner decided she wanted to go through the CSA as she thought she would get more money..ended up she couldnt. We were contacted by the CSA sent all reciepts to show past payments plus everything we had paid for through visits..petrol days out..clothes..shoes the lot (i kept them just incase and then they requested them). His ex partner then said she didnt want to go through csa and was happy to continue the original monthly agreement. Last month my partner had a letter from the CSA saying he owed £4500 in child support. he phoned them and they said it could be written off if the childs mother would contact them to say it has all been paid..in which she did. Emails..phone calls and letters were sent to prove it was all paid. He then got a further letter requesting my partner go to court for unpaid fees...apparently he doesnt owe the childs mother but the secretary of state. Im really confused as to why he has to pay anything as he already has. Please can someone help at all? thanks
mamamia7 Avatar
7y, 4m agoPosted 7 years, 4 months ago

All Comments

(8) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Sounds like the CSA have, or think they have, paid the mother, therefore you owe it to them, not the other?
There was a really good person on moneysavingexpert.com who knew all this stuff really well, I have hardly been on there for a few years, but will look for a link.

Edit: they have a forum dedicated to child support:
http://www.parentlineplus.org.uk/ might be able to get some good info by calling this :)
Sorry I can't offer any advice but hope you sort it as it sounds like an annoying situation if he has paid. :)
Get the down the CAB asap!
My partner also went direct without going through the CSA for two older daughters of hers. CSA advised the amount to pay and so long as we paid via a provable method (e.g. DD) then they did not need to get involved.

Sounds like the CSA have just got a little confused, stressful I know, but I'm sure they will realise sooner rather than later.
does the ex live on income support? or another benefit? if she does maybe she didn't tell them she was getting money from your partner? Any maintenance you get comes off your benefit. In any case, it's her problem, not yours.

I'd go to CAB as soon as you can.
If the mother was on benefits then the CSA say that the money is owed to the government rather than the mother. In that situation the CSA will not take into account what you have already paid the mother in a private agreement.
Surely though if the mother wasn't declaring what she received from your partner and was still claiming benefits then this is possible benefit fraud.

I would definitely seek advice from the CAB and maybe get some advice from lawyers that specialise in CAB cases

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!