Custody Figures for January 2009 released - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Custody Figures for January 2009 released

peodude Avatar
7y, 10m agoPosted 7 years, 10 months ago
Population in custody monthly tables, January 2009, England and Wales

Population in custody January 2009 - Key points

Population in custody
The population in custody on 31 January 2009 was 82,487, 1 per cent more than a year earlier. The population in prisons was 82,075, in Secure Training Centres (STCs) it was 228, and in Secure Childrens Homes (SCHs) it was 184.

Population in prison

The male prison population increased by 2 per cent to 77,812 and the female prison population decreased 4 per cent to 4,263 in January 2009.

The remand population in prison increased by 1 per cent to 12,908 in January 2009 compared to January 2008. Within this total, the untried population increased 4 per cent to 8,341 and the convicted unsentenced population down 5 per cent, to 4,567.

Amongst the remand population the largest percentage increases since January 2008 were seen in burglary, robbery and sexual offences, up by 8, 6, and 3 per cent respectively. Decreases were seen in motoring and drug offences, down by 18 and 9 per cent respectively.

There were 67,473 sentenced prisoners at 31 January 2009, an increase of 2 per cent from a year earlier. The largest proportionate increase since January 2008 was for those serving indeterminate sentences (Life sentences and Indeterminate sentences for Public Protection) which increased by 14 per cent.

Amongst the sentenced prison population violence against the person, sexual offences and robbery saw the largest percentage increases, up by 6, 5,and 3 per cent respectively from January 2008. The number of people serving sentences for motoring offences saw a decrease since January 2008, down by 19 per cent.

The adult population in prison was 70,424 at 31 January 2009, an increase of 2 per cent from a year earlier. Over the same time period the 15 to 17 year olds fell 1 per cent to 2,222 and the young adult prison population was 9,429 at 31 January 2009.

(These figures exclude Fine Defaulters)
peodude Avatar
7y, 10m agoPosted 7 years, 10 months ago

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!