I've got a Duck (as you can probably all imagine) who has been nesting for about a month now, and I was going to post a few days ago saying "any day now they could hatch" but I never got around to it.
This morning I went out and along with the mother duck honking he head off as normal I can also hear some chirping, so hopefully there's some little baby ducklings hidden there!! If so, they'll probably appear later today and I'll see if I can get some pictures.
I've also got some more ducks of the same breed sitting (this breed of duck is HUGE compared to others!!) and they've been sitting for a couple of weeks. I've also got some little white ducks who are laying eggs. Whether they hatch or not is another story.
[u Ducky's 10 Ducky Facts about his ducks:
1) I currently have 13 ducks, but hopefully that number will increase today!!
2) At one point I had as many as THIRTY ducks at once, and I just wouldn't let them go!!
3) The biggest breed of duck I've kept is the Muscovy. They are EVEN BIGGER than the ones I have now!!
4) The ducks I have now are two breeds, Campbells and Call Ducks.
5) I've kept ducks for about 7 years now, and every year I've had at least one successful clutch of eggs.
6) Campbells can lay as many as 300 eggs per year... pretty much all year around.
7) I once hatched 13 ducklings from 12 eggs. I guess one had a double yolk!! (TWINS!!)
8) I've even had baby ducks hatch in the house in an incubator and live in the bedroom in little brooding tanks when they were little.
9) One of my ducks had an accident earlier last year which left her nearly paralysed. It looked as though she may die but she lived in our conservatory in a little box for a couple of months and pulled through. She can't walk very well, but she can stand up and we let her excersise in the water-filled sandpit daily!!
10) I've heard every possible joke about Duck a l'Orange so don't even go there!!