Need some advice on this one. Basically here's what happens (I'm the seller).
- Buyer wins auction for a pair of speakers.
- Buyer emails me to say he will pick them up in 9 days and would I like a deposit?
- I email back yes and say a deposit will be fine.
- Buyer emails to say he will send a bankers cheque through the post.
- I email back and say Ok.
- Buyer emails to inform me he will be sending £20 via recorded delivery because he's unable to get to the bank.
- Doesn't turn up. But as a good will gesture and I know that some pikey bastard from royal mail has theieved it I let him come round and pick up the speakers anyway and pay the remaining amount, trusting that we can sort the matter of this deposit out later.
... Well its' been later and no sign of the deposit, can't claim it because it's cash (not covered by recorded delivery), and royal mail are still saying we should wait for it to turn up.
I have asked the buyer to accept responsibility for the cash not reaching me and would be willing to accept half of it from him, me comping the other half and putting it down to a lesson learnt.
He responds saying that he's already paid the full amount for the speakers and doesn't wan't to pay anymore. He also tried to say that I 'Ok'ed' him sending the cash, but I didn't he just emailed me to 'inform' me that he would be sending it, I didn't OK anything..
I respond with.. aw I'll just post my repsonse..
Yes but (name deleted), you've spent £95 and got a pair of £95 speakers, I've lost a pair of £95 speakers and have only received £75. You see what I'm getting at?
I do recall that you said you would be sending a bankers cheque, then you sent an email saying that you would be sending cash recorded delivery.. You didn't actually ask me if this would be ok or give me time to respond, so no, I did not 'Ok' this!
Sorry but I can't see the cash from the PO turning up and I think you should also take atleast some responsibility for the missing cash. It was your job to get the money to me, not the other way round! If someone buys an item from me and I don't receive the payment for whatever reason, I simply don't send the item. However in your case I let it slide because you seemed like a good guy and you had good comms.
Sorry, but if we can't come to some kind of agreement I will be leaving negative feedback.
So, in your opinion? What should happen? It it his responsibility for the cash going missing? Is it my responsibility? I'm a bit lost...