OK I know the best deal here is not to smoke at all or try ecigs etc. or smoke really cheap brands or roll ups but, if you're stupid enough, like me, to regularly be smoking premium brand cigarettes, then you may be interested in this.
My example. (assumes £1 = €1.1)
A packet of 20 Marlboro Gold costs around £9.50 each in the UK.
In Spain they cost €4.85 (from the government controlled Tabac shops, found everywhere).
Therefore each packet bought in Spain costs you approx £4.40, therefore saving you £5.10 per packet.
I smoke approx 5 packets a week. So every 6 months or so I fly to Valencia (because I love it there), stay for 3 nights in an apartment in the city, have a fantastic time, buy 15 cartons (10 packets per carton) of Marlboro Gold, and save over £400 net.
Here are the calculations for my next trip:
- Easy jet flight Gatwick to Valencia end of Nov. £82 return
- 2 bed apartment in Calle del Turia €40 a night for 3 nights
- Train fare to Gatwick £27 return
- Tube from Valencia airport to city centre €3.20 each way
- Meals out (estimate) €80
- Ticket to see Valencia v Granada €35