Friday night Questions, - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Friday night Questions,

flp14344 Avatar
5y, 8m agoPosted 5 years, 8 months ago
Friday Night Questions.

See who is intelligent here, 2 questions for tonight,
see 1st post........,
flp14344 Avatar
5y, 8m agoPosted 5 years, 8 months ago
Options

All Comments

(63) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Comments/page:
Page:
#1
2 children stand 4 metres from a white line. They take turns drawing a number from a hat, the hat contains the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4. After each child has drawn a number they return the number to the hat, and move the relevant number of metres. The game is over when either child arrives at the white line.

Put a % chance on the game finishing in exactly 3 turns.
#2
0% ?
#3
is that 3 turns per child? or 3 turns between them? that would make a difference obviously
#4
asayer
0% ?


Explain your answer please,
#5
Scrap that, I am being thick

Edited By: asayer on Apr 01, 2011 22:27
#6
Are there more than 1 of each number? And is it 3 turns for Child 1 /Child 2, or 3 turns between them?
#7
I can't work this out in my head, but I am assuming it is less than or around 6.25%

Edited By: asayer on Apr 01, 2011 22:33
#8
ie. could child 1 choose 1, 1, 2 to get to the line? Also, what happens if child chooses 1 then 4? they go over the line, I presume this counts as reaching it.... Need more info.
#9
Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I could sit down and figure it out, but my brain is tired tonight ( well that is my excuse anyway). My first answer is way off the mark but I am sure my second of 6.25% or less is getting closer maybe?

As Zannaz82 says there are quite a few unexplained variables. I would appreciate it if you could pm me the answer so I can go to sleep without wondering what the answer is!!
#10
asayer
Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I could sit down and figure it out, but my brain is tired tonight ( well that is my excuse anyway). My first answer is way off the mark but I am sure my second of 6.25% or less is getting closer maybe?

As Zannaz82 says there are quite a few unexplained variables. I would appreciate it if you could pm me the answer so I can go to sleep without wondering what the answer is!!


I'm looking for answer aswel :(
#11
asayer
Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I could sit down and figure it out, but my brain is tired tonight ( well that is my excuse anyway). My first answer is way off the mark but I am sure my second of 6.25% or less is getting closer maybe?

As Zannaz82 says there are quite a few unexplained variables. I would appreciate it if you could pm me the answer so I can go to sleep without wondering what the answer is!!


get pen and paper :3
#12
I say 14% (well fractionally over) but I could well be wrong.

Edit: Just read the other comments I assumed they had to land exactly at the line to win the game.

Edited By: james132 on Apr 01, 2011 22:40
1 Like #13
1, 1, 1 is the only combination and there are 60 possibilities?

so 1.66%?

or is this some riddle and its another answer? lol


EDIT: oh carp I realised im epically wrong haha! back to the drawing board. lol 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 not 4 LOL. I will leave the above there so everyone can lol at my maths ha


Edited By: numptyj on Apr 01, 2011 22:41
#14
flp14344
asayer
Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I could sit down and figure it out, but my brain is tired tonight ( well that is my excuse anyway). My first answer is way off the mark but I am sure my second of 6.25% or less is getting closer maybe?

As Zannaz82 says there are quite a few unexplained variables. I would appreciate it if you could pm me the answer so I can go to sleep without wondering what the answer is!!


get pen and paper :3


I wish I could stay up and work it out but I need to go to sleep. Someone will work it out for you, will check back tomorrow, if it isn't done, I will try then.

All I know is that my first answer shows how tired I am!!!! How I came up with 0% is beyond me!! I should have gone to sleep well before now! Good luck finding out the answer.
#15
james132
I say 14% (well fractionally over) but I could well be wrong.


explain your answer please.....,
#16
Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer of 0% is correct presuming there is only 1 of each number in the hat. Since adding the lowest 3 (1+2+3=6) therefore can't happen

if there is one of each number in the hat, it can be arrived *at* in 3 turns (between the 2) by choosing either 1 or 3 first - 50% and then child 2 must choose 2 or 4 which is 66% and 50% of child 1 then choosing the correct remaining number so answer is 0.5x0.66x0.5=0.16' or roughly 17%.

I could carry on with endless scenarios :P
#17
Just to start it going….

the combinations needed would be either 1,1,2 or 2,1,1 or 1,2,1 or 1,2,1

the odds for the first ball being picked are obviously 50% as its 2 out of the 4 balls, its is working down from there that becomes difficult.
#18
zannaz82
Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer of 0% is correct presuming there is only 1 of each number in the hat. Since adding the lowest 3 (1+2+3=6) therefore can't happen

if there is one of each number in the hat, it can be arrived *at* in 3 turns (between the 2) by choosing either 1 or 3 first - 50% and then child 2 must choose 2 or 4 which is 66% and 50% of child 1 then choosing the correct remaining number so answer is 0.5x0.66x0.5=0.16' or roughly 17%.

I could carry on with endless scenarios :P


After each child has drawn a number they return the number to the hat,


Edited By: numptyj on Apr 01, 2011 22:43
#19
oh they are picked then put back into the hat....
#20
numptyj
1, 1, 1 is the only combination and there are 60 possibilities?

so 1.66%?

or is this some riddle and its another answer? lol


EDIT: oh carp I realised im epically wrong haha! back to the drawing board. lol 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 not 4 LOL. I will leave the above there so everyone can lol at my maths ha



(_;)
#21
zannaz82
Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer of 0% is correct presuming there is only 1 of each number in the hat. Since adding the lowest 3 (1+2+3=6) therefore can't happen

if there is one of each number in the hat, it can be arrived *at* in 3 turns (between the 2) by choosing either 1 or 3 first - 50% and then child 2 must choose 2 or 4 which is 66% and 50% of child 1 then choosing the correct remaining number so answer is 0.5x0.66x0.5=0.16' or roughly 17%.

I could carry on with endless scenarios :P



Then numbers get returned to the hat though
#22
Who cares?
#23
shauneco
Who cares?


Me now!!

But I don't, sleep it is!!! Grrrrrrrr I am not going to be able to sleep now though, things like this annoy me!
#24
This is GCSE maths, trying to remember if its a perm or comb, thinking perm atm
#25
I also assumed that it meant three turns total not three per child.

Okay so here comes the science/statistics:

So to get it on the third go it's going to be the first childs second go so therefore the possibilities of getting 4 exactly are:

-1+3
-3+1
-2+2

So the chance of getting any particular number is 0.25 (25%) but you also have to make sure the other person dosn't pick 4 (75% chance)

So the chance for each of all these occurring is 0.25*0.25*0.75=0.046875 (4.7%) and you have three variations of getting this therefore 0.046875*3=0.140625 (14%).

Possibly.... (Unintentional probability pun)

Edited By: james132 on Apr 01, 2011 22:48
#26
they never move,due to the fact they never looked at the number
#27
Someone deleted their comment/answer!
#28
75% chance not a 4 then again 75% chance then 25% chance its the last number you need therefore 14%
#29
4.4%? lol
#30
chillyyyy
they never move,due to the fact they never looked at the number


I bet it will be this a stupid twisted question! lol
#31
sn0ttyang3l
75% chance not a 4 then again 75% chance then 25% chance its the last number you need therefore 14%



I don't understand where your coming from here, they need to make the total of 4 in three moves exactly. So they cannot draw the numbers 4 or 3 at all otherwise they would be making too few a moves.
1 Like #32
Its Friday, fun fun fun fun.
--
Farhad
#33
numptyj
chillyyyy
they never move,due to the fact they never looked at the number


I bet it will be this a stupid twisted question! lol


OP doesn't even know the answer lol
#34
or is it 8.8%? lol
#35
numptyj
chillyyyy
they never move,due to the fact they never looked at the number

I bet it will be this a stupid twisted question! lol
gonna be something like what i said trust me
#36
chillyyyy
numptyj
chillyyyy
they never move,due to the fact they never looked at the number


I bet it will be this a stupid twisted question! lol

gonna be something like what i said trust me


yeah I was going over it and thinking hmm there technically arent any question marks so is there even a question haha.
#37
As above, if they cross the line, does that count?
#38
hmmm right, I really am off to sleep, I hope this will be solved once I get back on tomorrow!
#39
asayer
sn0ttyang3l
75% chance not a 4 then again 75% chance then 25% chance its the last number you need therefore 14%


I don't understand where your coming from here, they need to make the total of 4 in three moves exactly. So they cannot draw the numbers 4 or 3 at all otherwise they would be making too few a moves.
1st child has 75% chance that they pick a number that isnt 4 (game would be over in 1 move) 2nd child has 75% chance of picking a number not a 4 (2nd move) 1 child has a 25% chance of picking the last number needed to get to the line (3rd and final move)
#40
whats the 2nd question ?

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!