Just notified Switcover about some major problems with their system, basically I just got my renewal e-mail and checked over my details in order to renew (the price was around £200 cheaper than getting a new quote from them!). Found lots of errors on the new policy so decided to check that my current policy was correct, found the same errors!!!
The most important of the errors was that they had my wife down as having a full license when she only has a provisional. I decided to check the details of the new quote to see if they were correct, they weren't either! I'd gone via moneysupermarket to get the quote and had put in the correct licenses but upon going to Swiftcover and checking that they'd gone across ok I found that it didn't list the types of license, it didn't allow me to change it etc. If I removed my wife from the policy it gave an error saying that I couldn't have a provisional as the only member of the policy (even thought I'd entered a full license).
Swiftcover are now aware of all this and kindly charged me just over £12 for ammending my policy. I suggested that they might see to waive this seeing as I'd just shown them a massive problem with their site but they refused!!!
So, please check that they've got your details correct!!!!