Just got £125 bank charges! :-( - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Just got £125 bank charges! :-(

razta Avatar
8y, 1d agoPosted 8 years, 1 day ago
My girlfriend was overdrwan last month and now they are trying to charge us £125! To be taken on the 24th of December! Is there any thing we can do?
razta Avatar
8y, 1d agoPosted 8 years, 1 day ago
Options

All Comments

(32) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Comments/page:
#1
Ring them up, explain what has happened, you might get lucky (depends on who you speak to :))
#2
Not sure where you stand really.

But 24th of December :(

Merry Christmas
Love you Bank x
#3
Ring them up and beg! Tell them you haven't done it before and didn't realise what was going on, you expected a cheque to clear/to be paid before being overdrawn/any other plausible lie. Ask if they will consider dropping the charge as a sign of goodwill for Christmas or something.

Good luck!
#4
Sign of goodwill from a bank?
#5
wasnt there something ages ago about them only being able to charge what it physically costs to go overdrawn??
#6
£125 sounds a awful lot? Definately try calling them and ask if they can reduce it (and why its so much), if no joy you can try claiming it back at a later date (loads on MSE and here about reclaiming bank charges) but it does sound very excessive.
#7
abomination
Sign of goodwill from a bank?


I know it's hard to believe, but it worked for me!
banned#8
angelfairee
I know it's hard to believe, but it worked for me!


Did you flutter your eyelashes too? :w00t:
#9
How are the charges made up? Have you been overdrawn before?
#10
happened to me from my account i use for paypal, i hant transferred enough over n had gone overdrawn. i rang n they withdrew charges!
#11
guv
Did you flutter your eyelashes too? :w00t:


I did, but then I had to tell the person on the phone that I was doing it, otherwise it wouldn't have worked.

:p
#12
That is a ridiculous amount to charge - they are only supposed to charge £8 (well Barclays do) and only allowed to make a max of 3 charges in one calender month. £125 is way off what they are supposed to/allow to charge you for going overdrawn. I would definitely ring them and explain. I phoned a while ago about charges incurred on my account and they refunded them back to my account, so worth a try ! Good luck !
banned#13
nikkib123

I have only been overdrawn about three times, myabe thats why.


I went overdrawn on my second current account last month for only the second time Ive ever done so. (I pay a DD from that account for my CC and didnt realise it was going to happen!)

My back - First Direct - allow a free overdraft on both of my accounts upto £250. Like I said, its rare Ive used it - but it was sure handy I had it.
#14
On the phone to them now. They seem pretty adament however im being very persistent.
#15
razta
On the phone to them now. They seem pretty adament however im being very persistent.


Tell them about my eyelashes?!
#16
angelfairee
Tell them about my eyelashes?!


lmao
#17
No joy! :( Spoke to 4 different people. Looks like its going to be an even gloomier xmas.
banned#18
razta
No joy! :( Spoke to 4 different people. Looks like its going to be an even gloomier xmas.


Have a look on the MSE site at tips on getting a refund. Once youve got the facts, ring them back. Inform them that you will not only seek to have this fee overturned, but will be transferring your business elsewhere in the future. Except - dont make that an idle threat - do it!

As mentioned First Direct give you a £250 free overdraft. No fees whatsover when I did.
#19
Write to the head office, explaining your side of things, details information you find with regard to bank charges and ask for a rebate or partial rebate as a gesture of goodwill............I wouldn't pay it either and Christmas Eve ?? Get a life !

Which bank are you with ? My bank also gave me an overdraft of £250 and only get charges if I go over that limit
#20
use the "i've been a good customer for x years, and this is the first time, and dont want to leave over this"....

you may get lucky...
#21
libbitom1
That is a ridiculous amount to charge - they are only supposed to charge £8 (well Barclays do) and only allowed to make a max of 3 charges in one calender month. £125 is way off what they are supposed to/allow to charge you for going overdrawn. I would definitely ring them and explain. I phoned a while ago about charges incurred on my account and they refunded them back to my account, so worth a try ! Good luck !


Barclays charged me 2 lots of £22 in 5 days for being like £2 overdrawn greedy sods/
#22
who do u bank with ??
banned#23
That is a lot of money, hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:
#24
She banks with HSBC.
banned#25
razta
She banks with HSBC.


well dude tell ur gf to manage her money better.... I got fined 4 times in 2 months cause I went to america for 10 weeks and forgot I had a cc bill (hadn't arrived before I left.... and I only used it cause I dont use my debit card online) and a current account of mine went overdrawn cause the stupid hotel charged my card instead of my work account.... (hotel was $600 a night I was there for 10 weeks)

Even though one wasn't my fault and the other was a silly mistake I still paid the fines and learnt from my mistake. She should do the same and be more careful in the future.
banned#26
just ring the bank and ask for a list of all your dd's and standing orders. When they ask why, just say you are moving to natwest as you object to the bank charges. I do that every time. They always drop any charges.
#27
imranmaz;3703866
well dude tell ur gf to manage her money better.... I got fined 4 times in 2 months cause I went to america for 10 weeks and forgot I had a cc bill (hadn't arrived before I left.... and I only used it cause I dont use my debit card online) and a current account of mine went overdrawn cause the stupid hotel charged my card instead of my work account.... (hotel was $600 a night I was there for 10 weeks)

Even though one wasn't my fault and the other was a silly mistake I still paid the fines and learnt from my mistake. She should do the same and be more careful in the future.


Its hard to manage your finances when they are charging you £125.
banned#28
imranmaz;3703866
well dude tell ur gf to manage her money better.... I got fined 4 times in 2 months cause I went to america for 10 weeks and forgot I had a cc bill (hadn't arrived before I left.... and I only used it cause I dont use my debit card online) and a current account of mine went overdrawn cause the stupid hotel charged my card instead of my work account.... (hotel was $600 a night I was there for 10 weeks)

Even though one wasn't my fault and the other was a silly mistake I still paid the fines and learnt from my mistake. She should do the same and be more careful in the future.

why should she pay the fine? It is extortion imo charging that amount!
#29
go INTO the bank and ask to speak to the instore bank manager. Ask them to justify the charge and ask for a breakdown in writing.

Also print off take in some of the documents from the moneysavingexpert site should things go wrong and mention about claiming these back as they are no only unjust but also unlawful.

You then have the ammunition to go and claim the refund, have the bank managers name to personally name and shame them in the letters. I would imagine they can back down.

My friend used to work in a bank and has just said that the branch manager in his (Lloyds) has the power to overturn at the most 90% of the charges personally and the other 10% on the authorisation of a customer service agent on the phone who always agree ...

Let us know how it goes !!
#30
andover_boy;3714246
go INTO the bank and ask to speak to the instore bank manager. Ask them to justify the charge and ask for a breakdown in writing.

Also print off take in some of the documents from the moneysavingexpert site should things go wrong and mention about claiming these back as they are no only unjust but also unlawful.

You then have the ammunition to go and claim the refund, have the bank managers name to personally name and shame them in the letters. I would imagine they can back down.

My friend used to work in a bank and has just said that the branch manager in his (Lloyds) has the power to overturn at the most 90% of the charges personally and the other 10% on the authorisation of a customer service agent on the phone who always agree ...

Let us know how it goes !!


Thanks for the advice. My grilfriend has booked an appointment with the bank manager for Thursday. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. :thumbsup:
#31
Just keep a record if they do charge you and if/when the court case finishes you should be able to claim the majority back. There wasn't a problem at one time until Martin Lewis kept banging on about it and eventually it went to court. Whilst it is in court the banks have been given permission not to pay.
#32
Any update on this ??

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!