Medical care in europe and paying for it.. or not. - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Medical care in europe and paying for it.. or not.

Jetpac Avatar
7y, 3m agoPosted 7 years, 3 months ago
My friend recently returned from Kavos. Ive found out that she ended up in hospital over there courtesy of a dodgy bar which left a lot of people ill.

Now rather stupidly she didn't have travel insurance and ended up paying 400 or so over there. she didint have the european health card either. Can she claim that money back even though she doesnt have the card? (im not entirely sure how this whole euro health card works)

but it gets worse... for some reason she was transferred to a private clinic for which she is having a bill sent in the post. now im not asking about the ethics of this at all... but can they chase up that money internationally? She is pretty scared about how she is going to handle the financial side of all this.
Jetpac Avatar
7y, 3m agoPosted 7 years, 3 months ago

All Comments

(4) Jump to unreadPost a comment
From the EHIC website:

The card entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment within the country they are visiting. This may not cover all of the services you would expect within the UK and you may have to make a contribution towards the care you receive.

If you require healthcare whilst you are abroad and have lost or had your EHIC stolen, then you will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions in the UK and obtain an EHIC Provisional Replacement Certificate.

I would get her to contact the Dept for Work & Pensions & ask their advice.
I reckon it is going to be an expensive lesson for your friend, a private clinic is just that, private, they will charge even if your friend did have a valid card,
ok i will get her to make contact. thanks for the heads up guys.

However for the private clinic she hasn't actually been charged yet, they will be forwarding her the bill.
can debts like that be followed up internationally? (i know its not exactly the moral thing to do but she is pretty desperate.
she knows the euro health card wouldn't cover her for the private stuff and only the state provided stuff has been paid for
As she was in Europe VERY unlikely she will be able to "run" from the debt, most foreign DCA, have "sister" companies over here and if she is not forthcoming they could go for a European Enforcement Order, she needs the CAB really.

Thanks Tinks i will pass that on to her.

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!