I have used compacts until now but am intrigued with SLR type camera (i.e. better picture quality). Anyway, while out window shopping, I was man-handled into a camera shop :0). They demonstrated the Panasonic G1 to me. It looked cool in all red but apart from that the sales guy said it takes pictures to same quality as an SLR because it has the same sensor size.
I don't want to lug around an SLR (they are so huge) but this G1 and GF1 are both quite small. The questions are:
1. If you have any experience of these G1 and GF1, are they as good as an SLR (perhaps even a beginner's SLR)?
2. Could they actually replace SLRs? That is, should I invest in this rather than SLR?
3. Finally, the all important question - do they take as good a picture as an SLR? I would be blowing an odd picture to poster size from time to time but not regularly.
4. Is the flash on this as good a flash on an SLR?
5. What is difference between G1 and GF1 apart from the look and video mode in GF1? I don't care about the video mode but I prefer the shape of GF1 :-( - can't win really.+
6. Is the sensor size same as the standard SLR?
Hope someone has some idea of these Micro Four Cameras. I know they are expensive (I really like the GF1) therefore don't want to invest if they don't produce good pictures. Couple of reviews talk good things about them but I would rather hear from a 'layman' pohotographer rather than a paid journalist.