Military record from the second world war - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HotUKDeals, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HotUKDeals app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Military record from the second world war

£0.00 @
I'm looking to find some info on my grandfather who served during the second world war. I have virtually no details and not even sure what if anything can be found out nowadays. If anyone has any hint… Read More
kj23 Avatar
9y, 3m agoPosted 9 years, 3 months ago
I'm looking to find some info on my grandfather who served during the second world war. I have virtually no details and not even sure what if anything can be found out nowadays. If anyone has any hints, tips, sites or whatever i could try i'd appreciate it. I found a few sites, they either weren't the type of thing i wanted, had no info, one you even had to pay for.
kj23 Avatar
9y, 3m agoPosted 9 years, 3 months ago

All Comments

(14) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Do you know what regiment he was in? quite a few regiments have their own museums you could contact.....
i dont. i'm not even sure which sevice it was, i think it was the royal marines and for some reason in a parachute/paratropper regiment or whatever.
Forces Reunited is a website (like friends reunited) for finding people, etc
Start doing a family tree and you could get info from other family members or friends etc who may be able to point you in the right direction.
1 Like #6
thanks for all the help guys. looking at some of recomendations. i was just hoping you could find some stuff online or request the info, was interested more in official stuff.
Why don't you get in touch with your local British Legion and explain to them what you are after, you never know they may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps and good luck.
thanks for all the suggestions, when i get some time i'm going to sit down and see what i can find out. someone kindly PM'd some good info which looks like a real help.
what area was your grandfather from, that can usualy give an indication to redgiments and the like. do u have any pictures of him in uniform, this can be a big help in tracing back
i'm bad, i know very little and there's only one relative alive on his side but i dont have any contact with them. he was from the north east. there was a picture of him in his uniform but i dont know where it went. i can remember it from when i was younger. i seem to remember it mentioned the marines and/or the paratroopers. my mother has mentioned she knew a bit more but i dont think she knows specifics, apparently he didn't talk about the war to anyone really.
thats quite a common thing kj23, neither of my grandfathers spoke of the war, neither were proud of their medals.

I am lucky in the fact that I know about their redgiments and tours they did. Then again, my dad is very into military history, as is his brother, so all of the medals and that are safely stored away, we even have ww1 medals and death medals with all the stuff.
I too wanted to research about my grandfather ,but didn't know where to start .He was captured at the beginning of the war and spent 5 years in a POW camp [Stalag 9C ] in a place called Bad Sultza.Lots of good web sites about this with pictures too ,but I wanted more info from his regiment , The Northumberland Fusiliers .Anybody know where I should start . Sorry ,I didn't mean to highjack the thread .
not a problem. sounds like you're in the same boat as me. good luck too.
noticed this site which appears to have a lot of info on, you've probably seen it though.
also, got this back from the national archives, just tried ringing and they may be shut so i'll try again tomorrow,

Dear Enquirer

Thank you for contacting The National Archives.

Post WW1 Army Service Records

The service records of officers who served after 1922, and of other ranks who were discharged after 1920, are still held by the Ministry of Defence. They are not open to public inspection, but next of kin can request a summary of the service record, and this will be provided for a fee.

The MOD make a charge of £30.00 for any information they provide. The only people exempt from charges are the person to whom the records refer or their widow or widower.

If you are interested, you will need to contact:

Army Personnel Centre, Historic Disclosures, Mailpoint 400, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX
Telephone number: 0845 600 9663
For telephone enquiries from outside the UK, please give appropriate number based on surname:
A - CARNE: +44 141 224 2743
CARNFE - FARMD: +44 141 224 2826
FARME - HOLMD: +44 141 224 2670
HOLME -MARTE: +44 141 224 3515
MARTF - PLANS: +44 141 224 2744
PLANT - Z: +44 141 224 2335
e-mail: [email protected]">[email protected]
For SERVING Soldiers or Officers and those discharged since 1996. Also for requests under the Data Protection Act (access to records of a living person) and requests for medical information:

Army Personnel Centre, Disclosures 1, Mailpoint 520, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX.
Tel: 0845 600 9663
e-mail: [email protected]">[email protected]

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!