Okay well final straw with o2. Got an n95 10 days ago, its developed a fault, a new one was supposed to be delivered today. So i took the day off college and it didnt turn up!
So my mum rang them and the phone isnt in stock and they wont have any more in until 7th october.
After 30 minutes on hold she asked to cancel the contract, but they wont let her because the contract was ordered 15 days ago.
So they promised her she'd have one at her door on the 8th of October, we then realise thats a sunday and tell them.
*We will promise you one on the 9th of october*.
We will also credit £10 to your contract as a goodwill gesture -
So what do i do if it doesnt come monday?
Im raging tbh.