Hi am a noob at android myself but after wasting all yesterday trying to root and install ROM here is my noob guide hope it helps somebody
XP-ZTE drivers supplied by flibblesan worked on XP.Sorry dont remember which one but in device manager try pointing to each one and one defiantly works as have just installed custom ROM on my XP machinehttp://flibblesan.co.uk/android/zte_driver.zip
Windows 7 while switching on hold the volume up button so it remains in the boot loader screen(little green android on phone display should remain) and windows update automatically installs drivers for ADB which are needed for roothing and ROM install
USBHUB drivers still unavailable but you dont need them anyway so dont worry
* Downloaded both the fastboot file and r2 Superboot / MCRi file,
* Placed the r2 Superboot / MCRi file(image) into the now unzipped fastboot folder.
* Moved this fastboot folder directly onto the C:/ drive on my PC.
* Turned off phone and pulled battery, replaced battery, then powered up phone. (Power+Volume up)
* It stops On the Green Android, plugged in USB cable, left it to do its thing and Windows 7 installed a fastboot driver.
* Opened a command prompt on the PC (type cmd into windows search box) and you should get something similar to C:\users\home>
* Type> cd c:\fastboot this should open the fastboot folder
then type in fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img < (you should get a message to say its done)
* Next copy and paste this and hit enter> fastboot-windows reboot <
* Finally leave your phone to do its thing and in about 5 or so minutes it will have rebooted and you should have Root access.
Custom ROM install
Now after doing all this download the custom ROM to your desktop.Change the whole download name to
mcri-system.tar.gz(wasted all night trying to rename the extension of the download instead of the download name itself)
Put this name changed ROM on your SD card(drag and drop/copy after switching on mobile) this should NOT be in a folder but put straight to phone SD card
Restart the phone
All credit of this guide goes to these guys at MoDaCo
Mario999(Command Prompt Syntax)