Question about NHS, please help! - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Question about NHS, please help!

sense_less143 Avatar
7y, 8m agoPosted 7 years, 8 months ago
I'm an international student covered under NHS..

If I want to get treated for minor pains (non-emergency knee pains), can I go to ANY clinic or should I only go to the doctor NHS gave me?

The thing is, the doctor that NHS have me on my medical card is in another town - a nearby town, but not the town I currently live in.

Please help!
Other Links From NHS:
sense_less143 Avatar
7y, 8m agoPosted 7 years, 8 months ago

All Comments

(5) Jump to unreadPost a comment
If it's an emergency you can go to any clinic for treatment, otherwise you should go to your doctor. However, you can always contact your closest clinic & ask them if you can see a doctor there.
phone nhs direct and they will advise you, also what town are you in because a lot of new drop in centers have just opened around the country..
Go to your nearest doctors surgery to register but mention you have been registered a different surgery. They will advise you to either tell the other surgery you have left or they will do it for you.
Register with a local surgery. Tell them about your knee problem and keep going back until it gets sorted / investigated / fixed.

You don't need to do anything about your previous surgery. Provided your new surgery has space to take you, you just sign a form at the new surgery and that's it, you are registered.

Walk in centres will check you over and can give you advice but if the problem is still there, you need tests etc, this can only be done via your surgery.
I'm not sure about this being that you are an international student.

In general a British National can register with any doctor they wish and walk into any clinic or hospital nationwide for treatment. Long term investigative studies usually go through the GP and then a specialist referral. I would assume that since you are covered for treatment within the NHS that this would apply, however I don't have specific knowledge about this. Do you have indefinite leave to remain? You may wish to contact whoever deals with your immigration status to ask them specifically....

hope this helps x

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!