Riddle me this... - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HotUKDeals, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HotUKDeals app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Riddle me this...

£0.00 @
You're on a game show and about to get the chance to win a brand new car. The game show host presents you with three doors, he tells you that behind one of the doors is the car and behind the other tw… Read More
Abvance Avatar
9y, 2m agoPosted 9 years, 2 months ago
You're on a game show and about to get the chance to win a brand new car. The game show host presents you with three doors, he tells you that behind one of the doors is the car and behind the other two doors there is a goat (so that's one car and two goats). You are told to pick one of doors where you think the car is behind, so you choose one of the doors but before you can get to open the door the host opens one of the other doors to reveal a goat (the host knows where the car is). Now the host gives you the option to either stick with your original choice or swap with what's behind the other unopened door. If you want the best chance to win the car which should you do?

A. Stay with your first choice.
B. Swap for the other door.
C. It doesn't matter.
Abvance Avatar
9y, 2m agoPosted 9 years, 2 months ago
Options

All Comments

(28) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Comments/page:
#1
The old Monty Hall problem

Always Swap!
#2
answer: a???
banned#3
Picking out of three doors, would mean there is a 33.3% chance of getting the car and 66.7% chance of getting a goat. When one door is removed the chance of getting the car is 50%, which is equal to the chance of getting the remaining goat. So although there is a reduced chance of picking a goat and a higher chance of picking the car, the possibilites are equal. Therefore, the answer is C.
#4
Swap for better odds?
#5
JustPlainStupid
Picking out of three doors, would mean there is a 33.3% chance of getting the car and 66.7% chance of getting a goat. When one door is removed the chance of getting the car is 50%, which is equal to the chance of getting the remaining goat. So although there is a reduced chance of picking a goat and a higher chance of picking the car, the possibilites are equal. Therefore, the answer is C.



Once the host has opened a door, the car must be behind one of the two remaining doors. The player has no way to know which of these doors is the winning door, leading many people to assume that each door has an equal probability and to conclude that switching does not matter (Mueser and Granberg, 1999). This "equal probability" assumption, while being intuitively seductive, is incorrect. Under the conditions stated above, the player's chances of winning the car actually double by switching to the door the host offers.

The chance of initially choosing the car is one in three, which is the chance of winning the car by sticking with this choice. By contrast, the chance of initially choosing a door with a goat is two in three, and a player originally choosing a door with a goat wins by switching. In both cases the host must reveal a goat. In the 2/3 case where the player initially chooses a goat, the host must reveal the other goat making the only remaining door the one with the car.
#6
JustPlainStupid
Picking out of three doors, would mean there is a 33.3% chance of getting the car and 66.7% chance of getting a goat. When one door is removed the chance of getting the car is 50%, which is equal to the chance of getting the remaining goat. So although there is a reduced chance of picking a goat and a higher chance of picking the car, the possibilites are equal. Therefore, the answer is C.


The probability doesn't change.

At the start each door has 1/3 chance. When you pick a door, there is 2/3 probability that it will be behind one of the other two doors. When they open one of those doors and it's not there, then there is still 2/3 probability that it will be behind the other door, so you should always switch.
#7
Well if you squeeze the goat thats been let out it will 'bleet' or whatever sound goats make and then the other goat will 'bleet' back, thus you will know which door the other goat is in meaning you can get the car!
banned#8
Ok, the answer can be D. You should step back and pick at random once more.
#9
Always B

Earlier you had a 1 in 3 (33.3%) chance of getting the car.
Which means you had a 2 in 3 chance of a goat (66.6%)

So ok now theres two left but he had a 100% chance of picking right so logically you are much better off switiching, dont think Im explaining this well...
#10
GAVINLEWISHUKD
Well if you squeeze the goat thats been let out it will 'bleet' or whatever sound goats make and then the other goat will 'bleet' back, thus you will know which door the other goat is in meaning you can get the car!


LOL :-D
#11
nightswimmer
At the start each door has 1/3 chance. When you pick a door, there is 2/3 probability that it will be behind one of the other two doors. When they open one of those doors and it's not there, then there is still 2/3 probability that it will be behind the other door, so you should always switch.


Thats a nice simple explaination :thumbsup: Clever.
#12
Thing is I have a car so I would be annoyed that my chance of winning a goat had been lowered!
#13
A good example.

If when you picked the door first would you swap it for the two overs if the host let you, yes you would.

That is effectivley what you are doing
#14
GAVINLEWISHUKD
Well if you squeeze the goat thats been let out it will 'bleet' or whatever sound goats make and then the other goat will 'bleet' back, thus you will know which door the other goat is in meaning you can get the car!



Like your style :-D
#15
I've got a car - I want the Goat
#16
GAVINLEWISHUKD
Thing is I have a car so I would be annoyed that my chance of winning a goat had been lowered!



:giggle: at least you got your priorities straight!!!
#17
Stick, if you'd chosen the goat he would've just opened the door and let you lose seeing as he doesn't want to give away the car.

My maths head is saying that it doesn't matter, the only problem is that the host knows which IMO is the only thing that can influence it.
#18
Starrysky
:giggle: at least you got your priorities straight!!!


Goats are more use than cars.

Goats keep the garden tidy, the kids amused and provides milk and at some point goat curry!

The only good use for the car is to go get some beer for the curry!:thumbsup:
#19
I would swap cause

'Now the host gives you the option to either stick with your original choice or swap with the other unopened door'

Wly would you swap a choice (to get a car) for and upopened door, sure get new ones in B&Q...
#20
Before the door is opened there is a 33% of getting a car, when they reveal a goat there is a 50% chance of getting the car but that's the same 50% whether you swap or stick. C
#21
GAVINLEWISHUKD
Well if you squeeze the goat thats been let out it will 'bleet' or whatever sound goats make

cant u get arrested for that lol, anyway i'm with the conspiracy theory, the host is tryin to either get u away from or help u get the car
on the other hand goats are a bit niffy, sniff the door!!
#22
after reading it , it only specifies '1 goat' so i assume two of the doors lead to the 1 goat

so in would choose the door further away from the original door containing the goat unless he opened the middle 1 lol
#23
C - for all the above reasons.
#24
ask the audiance
#25
Well done for those who got it right, the answer is best explained on this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mhlc7peGlGg
#26
GAVINLEWISHUKD
Goats are more use than cars.

Goats keep the garden tidy, the kids amused and provides milk and at some point goat curry!

The only good use for the car is to go get some beer for the curry!:thumbsup:


lol remember you have to clean up the mess the goat leaves behind, also slaughtering the goat can be a messy task!! :-D
#27
Abvance
Well done for those who got it right, the answer is best explained on this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mhlc7peGlGg


thanks...video clears it up.:thumbsup:
#28
what car do I have a chance of winning?

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!