Ok I hope the title sums it up what this is about! Would really appreciate some advice...
But anyway bought a car 2 weeks ago from a dealer, paid a deposit, went back 2 days later to pick up & pay balance. Husband signed 'sales invoice' when paying deposit. When we went back to pay the balance the invoice had written on 'no warranty p/x to clear' which had obviously been added after he'd signed (I know this is now their word against his but this is not the point of the advice needed here).
On Wednesday I was taking my 2 girls to their nannas in the car, half way there the engine started overheating & the engine management light came on & along with the little above. The car lost power & the temperature indicator went straight past the red square.
Took it to my local garage yesterday & it was leaking oil, cylinder had gone, a new head gasket was going etc - things apparently the dealer would have known when selling it.
Came home, researched Sale of Goods Act so I knew my rights & rang the dealer...the woman I spoke to was incredibly nasty & I had to keep reminding her to stop shouting at me! She asked me to drive the car up there (20 miles away). I refused as it's dangerous.
Well she rang me back after an hour (apparently she's the manager & had to speak to 'the lads') & said they'd offer me £1000 back of the £1195 we paid & asked again for us to drive it up there. I said no & said it was dangerous. I also asked why I couldn't have my full refund...first response 'You've driven the car for 2 weeks, how much would it have cost for you to hire a car" then it was "we'll have to get it towed, that costs money".
I actually only started driving the car last friday as we had to wait for an insurance certificate since it wouldn't let us tax online. So I had 6 days of driving...but it was used for 3 days, saturday, sunday & wednesday this week so I know I couldn't have caused all the damage.
I agreed to the refund as I don't need the hassle right now but was prepared to go to court if they offered nothing back.
Anyway, the v5 has been sent to the DVLA to be registered in my name & I've not gotten it back yet. I've rang the DVLA, explained the situation & the response I got was 'that's not our problem - wait for the v5 to come back - it'll be within 6 weeks'.
I'm not prepared to ring the garage again as they're meant to be ringing with a courtesy call to tell me what time they'll be collecting the car this afternoon. I'm honestly not holding my breath about this.
Anyway - has anyone else been a similar situation? Will I need to wait up to 6 weeks for the v5 and then get the dealer to take the car? What implications are there for me if they take the car without it?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can pass on anything they know :)