I am about to get a car under the scrappage scheme - my car has MOT due 17th June, road tax until end march 2010 and insurance until 12th July. The new car would not be available until Sept at the earliest - there's a wait list.
I rang the insurance first - and as I wouldn't be able to suspend insurance to sept - as it is past the end of current insurance period they said there would be a £48 cancellation fee for cancelling part way through the policy (diamond) and i wouldn't get a no claims bonus for this year if I give the car to the dealer on the last day of the MOT.
The garage said I would have to hand over the tax disc when I scrap it - I couldn't post it for a refund - their best advice was to buy 6 months road tax and post back now to get 3 months back.
I don't know what to do!
1) Attempt MOT - you never know - it might pass!
2) Keep the car until Insurance runs out 12th July - then hand to the dealer for scrappage - Is it OK to hold parked on drive at my house with Tax & Insurance - but no MOT - as long as I don't drive it?
3) Hand car over on 17th June without attempting MOT, pay insurance cancellation penalty, lose 9 months tax
4) Anything else?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions