Cut a looooong story short.
Was unhappy with the services of a solicitor. We can lodge a complaint against the firm within a 6month time limit. The 6 months is up in a couple of weeks. The solicitor after 5 and a half months of chasing is now offering us a refund- what we wanted..
but, should I take it, or pursue the complaint to highlight what a joke their srvices really are, and what they claim to be on tinternet is very misleading?
This is the jist of it:
Got done for speeding.
Called for the help of a solicitor found online bragging about his acheivements.
Spoke to him, he was perfect. 'WAS' being the operative word.
He never personally worked on our case/ file, despite ensuring us he would.
File changed hands between 3 solicitors in 3 months.
The last solicitor that spoke to us i'm positive hadn't even familiarised himself with the case (despite having the file two weeks and the court appearance due in 12days)
Everything asked of them was never followed up- i.e., requested certain documents to be chased up but solicitor never pursued the matter.
Solicitor was 'geared' up to fight case, but once money handed over, they were very lax and just said 'go to court'- fight it there, but pay us seventeen hundered pounds extra for the pleasure.
Never returned calls, and a lot of 'chasing' had to be done.
We wanted to settle out of court. Court was 350miles away (where offence took place)
Solicitor said ban was imminent- no two ways about it. They just 'gave up' despite so many flaws highlighted by myself with reference to the case.
We 'kicked em to the kerb' (this 'firm') and switched to another one, a couple of weeks before the 'finale'. New solicitor was FAB. Total change to what was experienced before. They spoke to CPS and the 'imminent ban' was out the window, and 4points and fine was the punishment. they were very professional and always answered our calls and responded to emails the very same day.
I then went back to the first solicitor asking for a refund of what I paid. Long letters exchanged. Still not satisfied with his response. Starts making excuses for everything that 'went wrong'. Never once apologised for the frustration his firm caused- or their incompetence. Offered half money back.
Refused his offer.
eight weeks after we refused his offer and wrote to him- we didn't hear a peep from his side. A few days ago he offers a full refund if we agree to settle the case. It's due to the reason that we said we will take it further to the officials to highlight how we were (mis)treated. He says they will fight the case strongly. I have evidence that he has added atleast 'one' document to the file AFTER the case was closed.
He is offering us back what we asked of him nearly 6 months ago. He still doesn't agree with the 'points' raised- our 'concerns' etc.
Should we settle the score now - take the money and run? (money= the fee we paid)
Or should we complain to the powers that be and let them decide what should happen next?
Complaints about a solicitor must be lodged within 6months of the date they last worked for you.
I would've been happy had he not strung it out for nearly 6months trying to call our bluff- I wasted enough time writing to him/ calling / leaving messages etc but to no avail. Now, seeing that we are only two weeks away from the deadline (on which we can lodge our complaint) he comes out of the blue to say, here' take the money, and 'drop it'. But he isn't sorry and doesn't accept that we received such a poor service.
I have spoken to a few family members who say 'nah, forget it, just take the dosh and leave it be', but my best friend says, no- take it further as he has caused us enough stress as it is.