So, I've been given an old(ish) laptop running Windows XP to speed up becuase it's really slow apparently. It has a 1.6Ghz processor (single core) and 512MB DDR2 RAM, so it's getting on a bit.
I've done / am doing the following:
- Clear out temporary files (with CCleaner)
- Run anti-spyware check (with Spybot)
- Run anti-virus (with AVG)
- Use msconfig/regedit to remove a lot of the useless startup entries
- Defragment (with Defraggler) - never used this program before but saw it when downloading CCleaner. It's developed by the same people so thought i'd be worth a shot, as CCleaner is such a good app.
- Uninstall a few programs (can't do many though as I don't know what the owner uses/doesn't use)
- Increased virtual memory to 768MB initial size and 1024MB maximum size (from ~380MB initial)
Can anyone think of anything else I can do to give the laptop a speed boost? Upgrading RAM isn't an option atm, may be if the laptop still "runs" so slow.