Thought it may be useful to have a thread detailing things people like, or dislike about the new design, away from all of the semi-worthless 'I hate it!' comments.
I don't think the design is fundamentally that bad, however, any sort of change to a popular site is going to be met with a fairly substantial backlash, and it doesn't help when a new design has a confusing layout. To be honest, I'm still open to the possibility that in a week or two everyone will love the new site, but for now I think the navigation needs a little work at least to help speed up the transition. The actual design is an improvement, functionality not so much.
Just a few suggestions that might help the site look and feel slightly better:
1) Clearly mark 'discussion' and 'deals' at the top where it says all, deals, vouchers etc.
2) Add a bit of margin to the links between discussion pages, at the moment it looks like we're on page 678 since there's no gap at all, also is there anyway to view the total number of pages on a thread whilst reading it? Kinda like 1, 2, 3... 8
3) The post box is still icky like it was before, it was by far the weakest part of the site and it's a shame that it's the only thing that's carried on from the old design - Firefox's spell checker doesn't seem to like it either.
4) Little if statement so when you switch to 'text view' you can easily and quickly change back from the same kind of area.
5) Make it easier to differentiate between the original post and the other posts, since it's now visible on each page of the discussion.
6) Small fonts can look nice, but this just looks a little muddled - any chance of making it either very slightly bigger, or adding a slightly larger line-height and letter-spacing?
7) Anyway to view deals in full detail, with pictures and descriptions, but forum topics just as a listing, like before? At the moment changing the view option changes it for both.
8) Any reason a category is required for creating a thread topic just like this?
On a side note, please consider that:
- To change from 'text only' mode use the 'full view' option situated in the top left, under the categories.
- It's broke in Firefox!? - It isn't. Hold down ctrl and press F5.