this is my first post so if its wron gi'm sorry but i thought this was of some significance..
This information came round on the email list from HR at work, some of you may benefit:
Unclaimed Children's Tax Allowance for 2002/3
The year before Tax Credits were introduced there was a different non-means tested allowance available which was never advertised by the Inland Revenue.
It is called the Children's Tax Allowance for the Year 2002/3.
You can still claim this tax allowance before the 31 January 2009 deadline.
You need to phone HMRC on 0845 302 1437 and ask them to check whether you have already received this allowance and, if not, enquire as to what action you need to take.
You are eligible to claim GBP 520.00 allowance if;
* You have a child born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003
* The child lived with you for all or part of 2002/2003
* You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003
* You or your partner earned ?6,000 plus in the year 2002/2003 tax year
You are eligible for the GBP 1,040 allowance if;
* You can answer yes to the four questions above, and
* One of your children was born between 6 April 2002 and 5 April 2003
* Making a claim does not affect your current or future entitlement to Working or Child Tax credits.
* Your Marital status is irrelevant
* You cannot claim the allowance twice and if your final tax code on your April 2003 P60 ended in a H or a T, you have already had the allowance.
* This is an easy claim for you to make so do not get duped into paying someone to do it for you
because they are likely to charge a large percentage for their services.