I was accepted for a mortgage through a broker about 3 weeks ago and was told that I could start looking around for a property to bid on. I'd had about two meetings during this period after the acceptance and nothing had been mentioned to the contrary.
Last week I found a property, made a successful bid and informed my mortgage advisor yesterday, who asked if I could come in this evening to complete the mortgage. I've just now received a phone call saying that the company they had put me through have decided to ask for the deposit to be increased from 5% to 10% before they'll proceed.
Can they do this noting I've been told of my acceptance a few weeks back with 5% deposit? I'm gutted now as I've scrimped and saved for this house and now it seems like they're moving the goalposts.
The mortgage advisor says it's because I've not yet paid my surveyors fee (which I did pay yesterday) and the mortgage is not at a full acceptance stage until this happens.
Any advice someone can give before I lose my temper with the advisor? Or is what they are saying true?