Using a "Leapfrog LeapPad Explorer" on a Mac - trouble shooting
Have you recently purchased a 'Leapfrog LeapPad Explorer' for your little one, for Christmas this year? Thought locating it was the biggest problem...unfortunately for some this is just the start of the problem. Your next one is going to be downloading those free Apps and registering the LeapPad through a downloadable application called 'Connect'
First of all, open it BEFORE Christmas and set it up as it is not a 5 minute job (if it doesn't work ie "Connect is unable to communicate with the LeapPad", it may take several hours!) and once your little one has it in their sticky paws, they want it to work NOW!
I would suggest you go to the Leapfrog site and download Connect from the site, don't use the discs. From both mine and others experience, you end up removing the software installation and downloading from the site anyway!
Next, if you have any antivirus software installed and Firewall, you need to disable them whilst you register the LeapPad and download the free Apps - don't forget to enable them when you have finished. Even with a Mac, you need to turn the Firewall off to do this as the settings on your Mac will prevent the LeapPad connection.
If you are using a Mac, even turning off the Firewall, this may not be enough to enable Connect to run as you may still need to manually set up your IP Address. So this is how you can do this, it's easy when you know how :o)....:
You will need to manually set up your ip address by following the steps below:
To set a static IP address on a Mac, please follow the instruction below:
1. Turn on the LeapPad and connect it to the computer
2. Open System Preferences by clicking on the icon in the dock.
3. Go to the "Network" control panel under the "Internet & Network" category.
4. Select your ethernet connection (LeapFrog) from the list of available connections on the left side of the control panel window. Then click "Advanced" in the lower-right corner of the window.
5. Click on the "TCP/IP" tab at the top of the control panel window.
6. Choose "Manually" from the drop-down list at the top of the window.
7. Enter the static IP address, subnet mask, and Router numbers as follows:
IP Address: 169.254.99.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
8. Click "OK" to save your settings and connect through the static IP address.
I have added this on this forum as I bought my LeapPad back in August, following the Tesco's offer and know loads more of you guys did. I thought I'd share this as it might save you the hours and hours of swearing, troubleshoot Googling, swearing and several glasses of wine whilst you feel this urge to pick it up and chuck it hard against the wall!
Have fun and if you do have any problems, PM me and I will try and help as I tried setting my LeapPad up on both a Mac and a normal PC and both drove me mad but I found several fixes along the way and at last, it's all done :o)